Copper Cloth

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Copper Cloth

Hi all,

Was thinking about cleaning products. I make my own using baking powder and such, but just came across a copper cleaning cloth on the 'Net. I was thinking that I would prefer such a product, even to my homemade eco-friendly cleaning ones, because it means less stuff to buy (that was manufactured).

I found one that is 100% recyclable.

Anyone use one of these? How effective are they, do they really not scratch stainless steel, etc?

:dave:
Interests: land care, organic, permaculture, animal welfare, home education, tea.

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

I haven't heard of these - do you have a link??
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do they work in the same way as the silver ones?
I've got a silver cloth that i've had for years. Its microfibre and impregnated with something. They don't say what. (they might do now, after the legislation). It's lasted well and does a fair job. It better than brasso or stuff like that because it doesn't smell and cover your hands in stuff.

Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Fourth item down:
http://www.spiritofnature.co.uk/acatalog/kitchen.html

Can't find them elsewhere.
Interests: land care, organic, permaculture, animal welfare, home education, tea.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

aaah, cloths made of copper!

nope, never tried them...

Shirley

I'd like to give one a try! I use e-cloths at the moment and I do like them.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

ohareward
Living the good life
Living the good life

We used to be able to buy something similar, but they were made of wirewool, brass or stainless steel. They were more of a pad than a flat cloth. The brass ones were never popular as they left brass marks on what ever you were cleaning. The wirewool ones were also impregnated with a type of soap to make it easier, but they went rusty after a time. Stainless were the best. In the army we had cloths that we used to clean our brass that had the cleaning agent in it.

Robin
'You know you are a hard-core gardener if you deadhead flowers in other people's gardens.

To err is human. To blame someone else, is management potential.

Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

These don't seem to be impregnated with any detergent, which is another thing that attracts me to them.

I remember wire wool pads with soap in them from my childhood.

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

You could always use Loofahs which won't scratch non-stick. I bought some seeds this year but they didn't germinate :(

Shirley

good point about the loofahs - I bought one and it worked quite well... found some seeds inside too but dunno where they disappeared to.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

pskipper wrote:You could always use Loofahs which won't scratch non-stick. I bought some seeds this year but they didn't germinate :(
A whole different product to research! :shock: Right now just wondering about copper cloths.

possum

ohareward wrote:We used to be able to buy something similar, but they were made of wirewool, brass or stainless steel. They were more of a pad than a flat cloth.
brillo pads!
Opinionated but harmless

possum

Nikki wrote:
pskipper wrote:You could always use Loofahs which won't scratch non-stick. I bought some seeds this year but they didn't germinate :(
A whole different product to research! :shock: Right now just wondering about copper cloths.
I tried growing one once, didn't work either. I might give it another go though, different climate and all that.
Opinionated but harmless

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

I tried growing one once, didn't work either. I might give it another go though, different climate and all that.
Quite excited, one of them germinated :) Will just have to see whether it grows/survives!