Lager and Bitter

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lager and Bitter

We've got some cases of rubbish lager and bitter that is out of date.
There's only so much that can be used for slug pubs - so any ideas for what to do with the rest of it?

Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Lager and Bitter

the.fee.fairy wrote:We've got some cases of rubbish lager and bitter that is out of date.
There's only so much that can be used for slug pubs - so any ideas for what to do with the rest of it?
It's supposedly good for your hair. From memory, you're supposed to mix it with water and then lather it through your hair, leave it, and then rinse. Hmm, I have an even vaguer memory that you're supposed to add a raw egg to that as well... :roll:

Martin

"out of date" - probably absolutely fine - use your hooter to tell you if it's "off" or not................. :?
Far too much good stuff ends up in landfill because the big companies have to cover themselves by putting a "worst case scenario" date on them - I doubt tinned or bottled alcohol would EVER go off! :roll:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

oooh, noooo, its bad lager and bitter!! Not even drinkable when its in date!!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stonehead wrote:
the.fee.fairy wrote:We've got some cases of rubbish lager and bitter that is out of date.
It's supposedly good for your hair. From memory, you're supposed to mix it with water and then lather it through your hair, leave it, and then rinse. Hmm, I have an even vaguer memory that you're supposed to add a raw egg to that as well... :roll:
oooh, good plan! I'm planning to dye my hair on Sunday, so i'll use a couple of cans on the rinse stage.

Martin

well........you could knock up a still.........."Fee's manky beer potcheen" :mrgreen:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

hmm...distilled beer...if it weren't boddingtons and carlesberg, i might think of it! (or that rubbish st austell stuff that you only buy for barbecues...)

Stonehead

the.fee.fairy wrote:
Stonehead wrote:It's supposedly good for your hair. From memory, you're supposed to mix it with water and then lather it through your hair, leave it, and then rinse. Hmm, I have an even vaguer memory that you're supposed to add a raw egg to that as well... :roll:
oooh, good plan! I'm planning to dye my hair on Sunday, so i'll use a couple of cans on the rinse stage.
Well, don't blame me if it goes wrong or you find yourselves surrounded by fruit flies! :mrgreen:

Karen_D
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The bitter you could probably use for cooking in stews, gravies, etc. or for making beer bread

eg:

http://www.recipezaar.com/73440

http://www.recipezaar.com/17171

Wassail

Karen

lizzymahoney
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Open it all up and splash in a bucket. Some or all of the alcohol will evaporate off after a few hours. Use the rest on the compost or scatter dumped on the garden, with water for a chaser. Lots of nutrients in it.

There are some homemade garden sprays that use beer.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

slightly out of date boddingtons does taste a bit wierd... BUT use it as the base of a beef stew and you'll be laughing. I'm told it also works with venison, but as I'm not a venison fan I can't tell you if that's right.

preheat oven to 180, GM 7, dont know fahrenheit and Agas should toast a piece of bread in about 30 seconds I think.... or alternatively, use a slowcooker.

fry off some lumps of cheap stewing beef until brown.
remove from pan but dont turn cooker off, place into a casserole dish (lidded preferably)
chuck some chopped onion into the pan and shuffle round a bit until it goes translucent, but try not to caremelise it.
throw in some mixed root veg
remove from pan once veg coated in beefy goodness.
mix veg and beef together, and coat with Arrowroot powder; this will thicken the sauce without you getting a floury aftertaste.
turn up heat under the pan and pour half of the can of beer into it.
reduce by a quarter. add this to the casserole. if your casserole will take more beer, pour it in now.
crumble on a stock cube or sprinkle in some bullion powder and a good ammount of sage, thyme, rosemary or any other "woody" herb.
stir well
whack lid on and shove in the oven for 3-4 hours. (or if using a slowcooker, 8-9 hours)

check after 2 hours or so and taste. adjust seasoning.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

oooh, that looks delicious!!

I'll give that a go, still got half a case left...

hamster

I once had chicken cooked in beer and it was delicious. Must try your casserole, MrsFlibble.

This recipe looks similar to the chicken one I had, if anyone's interested. http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1739,153 ... 95,00.html
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

I remember using Linco Beer shampoo - it was in a little barrel!