battery wizzard

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
baldowrie
A selfsufficientish Regular

battery wizzard

deleted
Last edited by baldowrie on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin

I'm a touch sceptical! Having used nimh batteries and chargers for years, I never buy "chuckaway" batteries at all, if you hunt around you can buy a set of 4nimh AA batteries for a few pounds, often cheaper than alkaline "chuckaways", and just use a decent charger! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

baldowrie

already have one Martin!

Having a son with autism I have a great deal of difficulty in trying to stop him chucking batteries, and that includs the rechargable ones.

Anyway my catalogue are selling it for the same price, and I get the comission off, so I shall give a whirl. if it doesn't work I will return it

I am skeptical too!

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

From BatteryUniversity.com:

" The idea of recharging alkaline batteries is not new. Although not endorsed by manufacturers, ordinary alkaline batteries have been recharged in households for many years. Recharging these batteries is only effective, however, if the cells have been discharged to less than 50% of their total capacity. The number of recharges depends solely on the depth of discharge and is limited to a few cycles at best. With each recharge, the amount of capacity the cell can hold is reduced. There is a cautionary advisory. Charging ordinary alkaline batteries may generate hydrogen gas, which can lead to explosion. It is not prudent to charge ordinary alkaline unsupervised."

I'm a bit doubtful about how efficient it is to recharge a non-rechargeable battery - I suspect it would use more energy to do this, compared to a battery that is designed for recharging. At the best of times any battery recharging is not a particularly efficient use of energy.

BTW, baldowrie, TinyURL is your friend, and prevents long URLs disappearing off the edge of the screen and into the next room. You can even embed it into some browsers.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

baldowrie

thanks for your advice..I make my own friends!