Nessie in Sussex

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

Nessie in Sussex

well - a miniature version! :mrgreen:
This afternoon, whilst leaning on a little bridge that runs over a shallow stream, I saw a small "bow wave" - I thought it was a fish, but suddenly up came a snake's head - it ploughed through the water for several feet with the head held very much like Nessie......... :pale:
It then stopped for a minute or so with it's head up, apparently basking in the patch of sun, then slowly slid underwater, and swam off underwater :geek:
It was around 15-18" long, and about the diameter of my thumb - colour? - dark! - it looked black as it swam underwater.
What am I seeing - watersnakes, serpents, demented eels? :?
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Probably a grass snake, which are excellent swimmers, and will feed on frogs and the like. But adders can swim pretty well, too, if they have to - I've seen an adder swimming in a Sussex stream.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Martin

thanks Muddy - it was one of those "coo, haven't seen that before" moments, and wondered if it was native or an escaped pet :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Jack

Gidday

Could it be the demented one that saw this thing?
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Martin wrote:thanks Muddy - it was one of those "coo, haven't seen that before" moments, and wondered if it was native or an escaped pet :wink:
"coo, haven't seen that before" for me is usually synonymous with "coo, wonder if I can eat it?" :lol:
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!