Quinces

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Quinces

I was given a big bag of Quinces. I had a search around to see what I could do with them.

I decided to go for quince and apple crumble. What a nightmare fruit to peel and chop, being a leftie I am a bit cack handed with a knife anyway but I persevered and then boiled them up with a bit of sugar. I decided to do the apples separately and mix them up afterwards.

I now have 2 containers in the freezer ready for Sunday to add the crumble mix on top on Sunday. (We have just taken over an allotment so time is pressing a bit as we would like to break the back of a big clear up job.)

Trouble is I am a bit scared as the quince boiled down with sugar does wif a bit funny. Anyone tried Quince and apple or should I dump the quince and stick to the apple?

Silver Ether
A selfsufficientish Regular

My quinces always get turned into jelly and cheese ... never tried them any other way because of teh preperation ... I think your very brave to have persevered with peeling etc ... :shock: not something I would have ever done... And cant say I have noticed them being a bit wiffy. :?

ina

We always had stewed or bottled quince when I was little. Yes, they have a peculiar smell and taste - quite different from any other fruit, but I like it. They take longer to cook than apples, so you'll have to keep that in mind.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

I would've tried quince wine, but Contadina used them all up making cheese/membrillo. That said, it's wonderful stuff, so I'm not too upset.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I did chop up my one quince and decided never again. Quite tough to prepare. I will stick to the jellies in future. Quince does have a very strong smell and flavour. Personally I would only use one quince to about 300 apples otherwise the flavour does rather overpower everything else. Still it's a matter of taste so try them and see.

Zoe

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quince Jelly!!!!! my absolute favourite in all the world. Mum swears that Guava jelly is similar but i cant stand it and yat love love love quince.
:lol:
That said apparently i was found chewing on a raw one when i was little :shock:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Millymollymandy

It makes fabulous chutney if you follow a recipe for mango chutney and substitute quinces instead.

However you have already cooked the quinces - so why not experiment with just a bit of quince with lots of apples and see how it turns out?

JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ah it seems only a small amount of quince is required. I used about 10 quinces, I should have perhaps split this down into small containers to mix with apple as and when. I have about a dozen containers with apple cooked to use through the winter for crumble and pies, didnt want to waste any of the apples and having 4 growing kids they love their sunday hot puddings in the winter.

We have an allotment now and it has 5 apple tress so should have plenty next year :happy7:

Thanks for the advice!

JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

The crumble was fantastic! Only put about 1/4 of the quince mixtue with the apple, served with custard. Very full and happy now, off for a snooze. z z z z z z z z

:king:

Millymollymandy

Goodo - we like happy tummies. :lol:

Peggy Sue

I was given a quince for the first time last year and told to quarter it and put it in the pie / crumble as it is. It imparts a wonderful flavour- so no peeling it etc, but as I remember you don't eat the quince itself.

Certainly easier that way!!
Just Do It!

Silver Ether

Peggy Sue wrote:I was given a quince for the first time last year and told to quarter it and put it in the pie / crumble as it is. It imparts a wonderful flavour- so no peeling it etc, but as I remember you don't eat the quince itself.

what do you do with the quince then if you dont eat it?

I made more jelly yesterday and pushed the pulp through a sieve ready for making quince cheese .. but just to knackered today will do it first thing in the morning.

Peggy Sue

Well I didn't do anything with it, I didn't realise I could at that stage....now I feel all wasteful :pale: I shall recover it next time for jelly :cheers:
Just Do It!

ina

Peggy Sue wrote:but as I remember you don't eat the quince itself.

What a waste of a wonderful fruit!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Silver Ether

smug witch here ... :roll: got several containers of Quince cheese done today ... so will be gifting on a few visits over this week...
ducks before anyone throws at me ... mind you depends what you throw :geek: