Wind turbines and planning permission

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Wind turbines and planning permission

Hi folks
Just moved to NW Scotland (see entry in newbie section). Glorious scenery, fantastic lifestyle, great neighbours, but weathers been foul.

Our heating and hot water is currently provided by an ancient Franco Belge boiler which is coal-powered. It's costing us over £20/week just in coal at the moment!

We'd like to replace it with a wood burning stove for a warm, cosy area but then run the central heating/ hot water off an electric combi boiler and if possible get a wind turbine to produce the electricity. (LPG, oil or even large amounts of wood are not an option due to lack of access to the house for refuelling and an acute lack of trees within a reasonable area!!!).

Do I still need planning permission for a wind turbine? I've read on several sites that PP is being stopped "soon" to encourage alternative energy production, but can't find anything up to date enough to clarify the situation.

Maggie
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Thurston Garden
A selfsufficientish Regular

I am sure turbines are soon to come under the Permitted Development umbrella, although not sure if it has already happened or not. Martin will be along shortly with the answer though I bet!

That's me jealous *2 now! Durness AND turbine! :lol:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Stonehead

Re: Wind turbines and planning permission

Planning permission still required at the moment, in Scotland at least.

Aberdeenshire has not been keen to date and turned down a number of domestic turbines. We were told no as we're within sight of an ancient monument (although they are allowing housing estates and a bus depot to be built within sight of it). Also, they wanted it to be 200m from the nearest occupied dwelling.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know - I can't believe how lucky I am. When I'm rationalising the move I tell myself I've worked towards this for years (retraining etc). But the truth is we were in the right place at the right time and grabbed the opportunity with both hands. I still can't believe it - just hope the business goes well, otherwise I'm going to become very proficient at gourmet nettles and dandelions!
Maggie

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've read differing things. I think round here it is impossible to get permission within 100m of neighbours, may get it at 50-100m, don't need it under that. How many people live more than 100m from nearest swelling? Even round here the housing tends to be closer together than that.
Maggie
Maggie

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

That was all completely arse about face. Permission denied under 50m and not needed over 100. + dwelling not swelling!

I'm driving down to Manchester today to finish off selling the house so I'm all of a dither - my excuse anyway.

By the way if anyone's interested in buying a house in Gtr Man area - fully renovated, energy-efficient, with large garden (including veg garden) let me know.
Maggie
Maggie

Martin

I've no idea what the difference is between England and Scotland, but this is how I understand the rules in the UK.......... :roll:
At present, in theory ALL wind turbines require planning consent, but the "chocolate teapot" bill has been wheezing it's way through parliament, and I believe becomes operative sometime in April.......it is a farcical piece of legislation passed to allow the fitting of totally useless turbines to properties (they DON'T work!) - under which you can erect a small turbine of up to 2metres diameter on a tower of up to 10 m, along with various caveats about distances from boundaries etc........(or if you're totally thick, on a house!) :roll:
A turbine of this size, properly sited could just about produce 10-15% of the average family's needs (by properly sited, we mean a high wind speed area, well away from any obstructions, particularly buildings, definitely NOT in an urban area.......) - in other words, if you want a turbine that will produce meaningful amounts of power, you WILL need planning consent, because you really need something a lot larger, and preferably on a decently high tower....... :?
For some odd reason, planners seem to find them ugly (yet allow the most dreadful eyesores to be built), and are forever going on about "noise", which shows an appalling ignorance on the matter. A properly sited wind turbine of "domestic" size is not a noisy animal in itself, and by the time it is really whacking round in a high wind, the noise it does make is buried in the cacophony of other wind-induced sound! :cooldude:
In the right position, wind is a superb, and useful technology, but you have to survey the site carefully, and choose the turbine and all ancillaries to match the site - in a rural area, you may be on to a good thing! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Martin - and everyone
Still not sure where I stand but I'll leave it for a while - until our house is sold.
Maggie
Maggie