Hello from deepest darkest Sutherland...

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Birdie Wife
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hello from deepest darkest Sutherland...

Hi, just joined up, funnily enough I found this site while looking for a recipe for pickled eggs, wonder what that says about me :wink:

Anyway, I live in a remote corner of Sutherland, with a garden allotment, a small grey cat called Rita, several chickens (for eggs and meat) and a lovely OH who builds me coops and runs aplenty :cooldude:

Looking forward to meeting you all! This looks like a truly international forum.

BW.

justskint
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Birdie

Where is Sutherland.
too many interests, not enough cash.

gigglybug
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hello and welcome :hello2:

Amanda

Shirley

Oooh the highlands of Scotland... I LOVE Sutherland.

A big warm welcome to the Selfsufficientish forum.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Birdie Wife
Tom Good
Tom Good

justskint wrote:Hi Birdie

Where is Sutherland.
Hi justskint, Sutherland is just about as far away from Sussex as it's possible to be without getting your feet wet :thumbleft: it's wild and remote, go past 'countryside' and think 'wilderness'. The whole population of Sutherland is around 4000 - and in terms of land mass it's probably the biggest county in Britain.

ina

Hiya Birdie Wife, and welcome to Ish! Sutherland is a part of Scotland I really want to see... Even from here it's quite a trip!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

justskint
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi birdie wife Too far for a visit to the supermarket for a loaf then!

hamster

Ooh, Sutherland, how exciting. My grandparents have spent a couple of weeks in a caravan near Lairg every year since 1979!

Welcome to the forum! :flower:
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

red

welcome :flower:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Birdie Wife
Tom Good
Tom Good

hamster wrote:Ooh, Sutherland, how exciting. My grandparents have spent a couple of weeks in a caravan near Lairg every year since 1979!

Do you know Altnaharra then? I used to live near the caravan park at Grumore on the banks of Loch Naver, what an amazing place. I moved to be closer to work (I work for the RSPB) but it's still a 60 mile round trip to the nearest supermarket!

justskint
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

60 mile round trip to the supermarket my memory is shot, I would spend 1/2 my life travelling. How far to get a tap washer, or call out the plumber?

Shirley

Definitely going up to Sutherland this year - I've got a friend to visit near Lairg.

Come with us Ina!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

hamster

Birdie Wife wrote:
hamster wrote:Ooh, Sutherland, how exciting. My grandparents have spent a couple of weeks in a caravan near Lairg every year since 1979!

Do you know Altnaharra then? I used to live near the caravan park at Grumore on the banks of Loch Naver, what an amazing place. I moved to be closer to work (I work for the RSPB) but it's still a 60 mile round trip to the nearest supermarket!
Yes! I said Lairg instead of Altnaharra cos I knew how to spell it, but it was actually in Altnaharra & right next to the loch... Are there many caravan parks around there, or might it be the same one? (I only went once myself, and it was years ago, so my memory is pretty hazy.)
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

hi and welcome

Russ :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Birdie Wife
Tom Good
Tom Good

hamster wrote:
Birdie Wife wrote:

Yes! I said Lairg instead of Altnaharra cos I knew how to spell it, but it was actually in Altnaharra & right next to the loch... Are there many caravan parks around there, or might it be the same one? (I only went once myself, and it was years ago, so my memory is pretty hazy.)
That'll be the one! There's an ancient broch there that pine martens used to have a den in, and it was the favoured spot for returning caravanners, so they could sip their tea in the morning and watch the pine martens :cooldude: our house was a couple of miles from there. The Crask Inn is well worth a stop-over if you're headed that way, the owners are good friends and I'm not on commission honest!!
:wav:
love these emoticons!!