Elderberry Chutney

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Jo
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Elderberry Chutney

Has anybody got a recipe for elderberry chutney that they can recommend please?

I'd really like to try this and none of my books have this recipe in. Has anybody made it? Would it be better to sieve the seeds out or is it ok to leave them in?

Thanks

Jo

2steps
A selfsufficientish Regular

I made it yesterday with this recipe

Elderberry Chutney

1kg elderberries
1 large onion
600ml vinegar
1 teaspoonful salt
1 teaspoonful ground ginger
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon mixed spices
1 teaspoonful mustard powder

Stalk, weigh and wash the berries; put them into a pan and bruise with a wooden spoon; chop the onion and add with remaining ingredients and vinegar. Bring to the boil and simmer till it becomes thick. Stir well, being careful not to let it burn as it thickens. Put into jars and cover.

Jo

Thank you!

Jo

Jo

Thank you!

Jo

2steps

no problem

it's yummy. I had a little taste before sealing the jars. couldn't resisit :wink:

Millymollymandy

2steps - you must have picked a LOT of elderberries recently! My hubby managed to pick some from our little tree but it has grown very tall as it's in semi-woodland. Anyway I added them to blackberry and apple crumble and it was very nice!

2steps

I have a small elderberry tree in my garden but the park across the road (and this town generally it seems) has elder growing everywhere! I haven't seen a single other person picking :( I am going to try making some wine to give as presents if it turns out ok (I don't drink) Never done it before

Jo

I'm planning to give several people goody boxes of homemade jams, marmalade and chutneys this Christmas. So few people seem to make their own now (other than people here, that is).

Jo

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks again for the recipe, 2 steps, I am also planning Christmas pressies of homemade jams and chutneys as all my friends and family love them but never have time, or inclination to make their own

Jo

I made my elderberry chutney yesterday. There were about 3 teaspoonfuls left over that I just couldn't squeeze into the jars so I ate them tonight with my tea. I know you are supposed to leave it to mature before eating chutney, but that was absolutely lovely. My 2lbs of elderberries didn't make very many jars and if this chutney improves with keeping, then I can't see it getting given away this Christmas. I won't be allowed to let it out of the house! Next year, I shall have to use smaller pots (and more elderberries) so it will find its way into goody boxes as presents which was the original intention.

Many thanks for that recipe 2 steps :cheers:

Jo

2steps

No problem :)

I must confess I tasted mine too, couldn't resisit having never tasted it before. mmm can't wait till it's ready. I'm thinking it'll be nice with cheese instead of pickle