The 52 week bin bag

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
johnhcrf
Living the good life
Living the good life

The 52 week bin bag

I compost/recycle to the max, the strict ZWP campaign is being followed, envelopes are banned, cooking oil, aerosol cans set aside for special recycling, coffee jar tops return to suppliers investigated, cloth hankies only, alternative packaging investigated, any other idea that springs to mind. 52 weeks can be achieved, current value 5 weeks.
Bin Waste - 4 weeks - 3.25oz
52 weeks - 2.64lb est.

hedgewitch
A selfsufficientish Regular

I would look at what you actually have in your bin after the five weeks and work backwards from there.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

johnhcrf
Living the good life
Living the good life

After 5 weeks

The 5 weeks is just a figure, previously it was 3 weeks. I intend to make it last over 5, if possible. You are right, the rubbish I collect over the period will hopefully lead to further recycling/return/reuse.

John
52 weeks - 2.64lb est.

Clara

I´m confused...how do you ban envelopes :? ?
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

johnhcrf
Living the good life
Living the good life

Envelope confusion

Clara, The problem with envelopes is that they are sent mostly as junk mail. Part of the answer is to return these to sender or to the post office. Answers will arise to all aspects of bin reduction. The idea is to develop different tactics. Others will find solutions and hopefully spread the good word.

Have faith,

John.
52 weeks - 2.64lb est.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

So what is in your bin bag after 5 weeks?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

johnhcrf
Living the good life
Living the good life

After 5 weeks bag

I estimate there will be paper/plastic milk labels, metal/plastic milk tops, empty toothpaste tubes, plastic foil, paper hankies, apple stick on labels, some plastic bags (toilet-roll,kitchen roll etc)

How much - hopefully 1/4 of a bag

John.
Last edited by johnhcrf on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52 weeks - 2.64lb est.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

paper/plastic milk labels - get your milk delivered in bottles
metal/plastic milk tops, - as above, use your foil milk bottle tops as bird scarers
empty toothpaste tubes, - make your own toothpaste, someone here had a recipe a few days ago
plastic foil, - I don't know what plastic foil is... don't buy anything in plastic
paper hankies - burn them or compost them
aplple stick on labels - grow your own apples or buy from a farm shop or market
some plastic bags (toilet-roll,kitchen roll etc) - use muslin instead of kitchen roll, use wee wipe and the jug method for the toilet... or reuse the plasic bags to keep dirty wellies in, store things that have yet to be recycled, cover trays of sown seeds to propogate, etc,etc.

I reckon you could do 52 weeks no problem, if you had a multi-fuel burner, a greencone/ boshaki and a little bit of land... I reckon we could all do it... if we really tried
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Shirley

Sounds like an interesting plan John... how many are in your household?

We get our milk delivered in glass bottles but they come with little plastic caps and a plastic fastener (a bit like a cable tie without the ridges) - while these are much better than the foil caps in terms of keeping the milk fresh and keeping the birds from pecking through the lids when they are outside, I've yet to find a good use for them. I'm sending some down to my mum as her milk comes with foil tops and she won't finish a bottle that has been started the day before (YES, I know... I have told her a million times that the milk is still fine) - hopefully once she starts using these plastic caps she'll drink the milk the next day!

Envelopes are a pain to recycle - reuse is one idea, especially if you are asked to send an SAE to someone. We can't put envelopes into the recycling here and have to either bin or burn, or compost.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

johnhcrf
Living the good life
Living the good life

More info

Thanks both for your input. I am a single man with an extended family. My younger brother is currently staying with me. He's from a different planet with regard to zero bin waste aspirations.
Replacement is a key way to remove difficult waste. Milk botttles are almost unknown up here but I know a guy who uses enzymes to compost oily rags. That may deal with plastic waste.
I am sure ideas will develop.

John.
52 weeks - 2.64lb est.

Stonehead

We find the big problem is other people's rubbish that's thrown out of passing cars, dropped by walkers or blown here by the wind.

I did an experiment back in January, clearing an area of the croft completely of rubbish, leaving it for 24 hours, and then collecting everything deposited in the that time. I collected half a 10-litre bucket of other people's rubbish! :roll:

johnhcrf
Living the good life
Living the good life

Other people's rubbish

Wind borne rubbish is everywhere and the best anybody can do is to clear it up. A lot of it is plastic and hopefully, plastic is a dying breed.

John.
52 weeks - 2.64lb est.

johnhcrf
Living the good life
Living the good life

Reason behind the 52 weeks

There is a vicious cycle which is supplier - superstore - consumer - landfill. To break such a circle a link has to go. As a consumer, I have decided to break the link. My Bokashi bin deals with the food waste (council collections better), ZWP means no waste packaging, 52 week bin bag is designed to minimise home waste. If there is no waste, landfill will end.
The 52 weeks is for an individual. Families would have a bin bag for each family member per year, plenty of other exception (Stonehead's windblow rubbish).

Join in.

John.
52 weeks - 2.64lb est.

johnhcrf
Living the good life
Living the good life

Reducing bin waste

How many products do you know have ZWP? I know some - tin goods, hosehold plastic bottle/cap, milk, juice bottles, Pears soap, card/tin wrapped chocolate, unpackaged items generally. An extensive list would help consumers in their choices.

John
52 weeks - 2.64lb est.

ina

It would be even better to know what products you can still buy without any packaging at all... Even the little farm shops that are springing up everywhere around here pre-pack all their goods. OK, I suppose you can't do it any other way - or can you? I bought apples at a large orchard somewhere down south a few years back. They were just sitting there in boxes, and you weighed them out yourself. There was a sheet with instructions how to work out how much it cost, and everything was very much on trust. Great, though; I could use my own bags... And certain shops I frequent let you bring your own bags for veg as well as for carrying the shopping home, so I try to stick to them. On a local basis, it might be an idea to make these shops better known for this particular point as well!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)