Aquiring/downloading music

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Aquiring/downloading music

I have never had a CD player or naturally any CD's but am purchasing a car that has a CD player in it. Therefore I would like to find a cost effective, legit way of aquiring some music.

Just when I think I am getting the latest technology someone has said to me "don't bother getting any CD's, just buy an MP3 or IPod and play it through the AUX connection on the CD player. This might be a very good idea and I would like to learn more about it but it does not help me in aquiring my music!

You will understand that I know I can go into music stores and buy CD's for £12.99 etc but wonder if anyone is aware of any deals available anywhere?

Thanks

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just google on "free music downloads" and have a long look around. Most of these things download as MP3 files, but you can also download converters which will change the files to pure audio so that you can play them on any CD player.

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Had a google and signed up with we7. Have messed about for over an hour and have absolutely no idea how to listen to music on this site! Has anyone else succeeded?

Thanks

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

baldowrie
A selfsufficientish Regular

haven't looked at it as I KNOW I wouldn't have a clue...got any children or know of any. They will know :wink:

All this new fangled technology ah? :roll: :lol:

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

YEH,

I have read the instructions but they seem to bear no resemblance to the site! One thing I do wonder is if my slow download speed rules out downloading music from my computer. I seem to have a speed of about 2Kb/sec?

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

What system are you running?

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

MKG,

When you say which system am I running I am not quite sure what you mean?

I have Windows XP home edition on an Acer aspire lap top. Intel pentium M 760. Possibly my main problem is that I live 11 miles from the exchange and can not get Broadband. My download speed is 2.00kB/s. When I tried recently to upgrade to AVG 8 the download time was 6.5 hours!

If I am to download any music I guess I will have to find a site that will supply me with the music tracks only so I do not spend hours downloding video that I do not require.

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's the info I was after. And yes, that download speed is awful! There are lots of music sites which provide audio only - keep googling around. I don't know what you're doing precisely, but I suspect you might be left-clicking to perform a download. That works but the music/video will be played as it comes in (i.e. very slowly) and then you'll still have to perform a seperate save. If you right click and then select Save Target As ..., then choose a storage area, the file will download without playing and save into your chosen area to be played later at your leisure.

Music files, on the other hand, are not exactly small - 1 megabyte would give you about a minute to a minute and a half of playing time. At your download speeds, that would mean that a three minute song would take a minimum of 25 minutes to download. I assume that you are paying dial-up rates, so it might be worth your while working out what that's going to cost you - the CD route might be cheaper.

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

MKG,

I am not paying dial up fees, I just pay fixed fee of about £13 month. So cost of phone call not an issue. However I think I will have to admit defeat as it is irritating having to wait so long for everything to happen. One day I am sure broadband will come to our area and I will give downloading a go!

Thanks

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

Another option is to find a site that you can download music from (I have no idea... to be honest my music files are gathered from either my dad or less than legit areas :oops:) and que them up to download. I know a lot of people use iTunes but, again, I have no idea whether you can que them up using iTunes or even how it works...

I use Free Download Manager (I donwload a lot of addons for The Sims games and find the sites take too long to get them one by one!!) you can que them up and either schedule them to start in a particular ammount of time (say 4 hours or 10 mins or whatever) or, the slighly less green, but also a lot less irritating method, que them up and leave them to download over night? If you go to bed at say 1am, start the downloads then (or schedule them to start then) and that they they should be the only thing using your internet (so you wont be frustrated by a slower internet because you're downloading!), when you wake up they should -with any luck- be done!

FRee Download manager (it is legit, I think it's freeware or open source or something like that): http://www.download.com/Free-Download-M ... d=10849039

Also, if you use burning programs such as Roxio or Nero you can burn CDs as audio CDs. So if you've downloaded mp3s you can plonk em in the burner and Nero (or Roxio I think does the same) will convert them as it burns, saving you time!

As for the playng music from an Mp3 player in the car you have 2 (or 3) options. 1: the CD player MIGHT have the necessary hardware (1/4in jack socket and lead that goes from radio - mp3 player headphones socket) which would be the aux connection so plug in, select the aux cable et voila, el musica!
2: if the cd player doesn't have one of these sockets then you can buy an FM radio transmitter (not seen them around lately but I'm sure eBay will ahve one going...). Tune your radio in your car to one of the frequencies on the transmitter (I think ours are 106.7 or something, fiddle till you find the best one -some counties have radio on these frequencies already). This just pluggs into your mp3 player's headphone socket and transmits the signal on the frequency you've chosen and your car's radio picks up the signal and plays the "station" you've created! None of our CDplayers have the aux connections so this one is the one we use!!
3rd option is if the CD player is REALLY new it might have a usb socket so you can get a flash drive (play.com do a really cheap 4GB one or there's loads of cheap ones around, I'm sure I saw a 1GB flash drive in puondland the other day...) and use that insead of CDs or getting an mp3 player, but I think only a few radios have these usb sockets so may not be an option.

Hope that helps... sorry for rambling... I love auido technology!! :mrgreen:
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

iTunes musica can only be played on ipods, pcs and macs. there is a way to convert them but I'd have to ask my dodgy little brother about that.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!