Bad omen for my chuks

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
evelyn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Bad omen for my chuks

I awoke at about 4:20 this morning to the sound of the cat flap, my cats(8) were coming through it like John Wain through a saloon door, and hey all ended up on my bed looking somewhat conserned with tails like xmas trees.

i thought we were beeing burgled!

So i jumped out of bed and grabbed the torch ( a very big heavy one) and gingerly crept down the stairs.

NOTHING! not a sound not a flinch.

So in tru skairy movie style i went out side to have a look.

I crept around the garden and there it was, the cause of the comotion.

A FOX!!

Sat exactly where the chuk house will be going in about a week.

I dont know who was more suprised me or her, but i think it was me as she just looked at me as if to say " am i early? have the chuks not arrived yet?" then she got up jumped on the compost bin and over the fence and gone into the darkness.

I have lived in this house for 10 years and although we live opporsit a park i have never seen a fox in the garden.

I was prepaired to put up extra fox proof fencing and sink upended flag stones around the chuk pen to stop fox's diging in, but iam i fighting a loosing battle even before i have got my chuks?

HFW says that the sent of human's puts them off and uses tights stuffed with hair as a deterrant dose this work? the fox i saw this morning didnt seem very frightend of me just a little fed up that it had been descoverd.

All good sugestions needed.

Eve

Trace45
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Bad omen for my chuks

Hi Evelyn.

I think you should fox proof your hen run with wire at the bottom. Mine runs out under the lawn about a foot as well as old broken paving slabs put around it. I live in the inner city and have loads of foxes. Seemed to appear when i got hens!
When i first got a couple of hens they were put in an old hutch over night whilst i finished fox proofing. I got up in the middle of the night to see two foxes rocking the hutch to get to the hens! Needless to say the hens were in the hen house/shed with run the next night and have been fine. Now rats and mice is another problem altogether....................!

Good Luck :salute:

evelyn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Bad omen for my chuks

I am hoping that my cat population will keep the vermin down to a minimum, these guys catch squills, magpyes and on occasion sea guls.

Thanks for the tip on laying wire fencing under the grass, i will get on that today.

Eve