Chillblain ointment?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Chillblain ointment?

I have chillblains on my fingers and I feel I will have them on my toes soon. Not bad, just annoying at this stage. I thought that you Northern Hemisphere folk and probably the Kiwi cousins would know what would make a good chillblain ointment?I am thinking of using some "warming" spices but many years ago I gave my boyfriend of the time third degree burns with an over exhuberant mustard plaster so thought I would see some wisdom before randomly adding chilli, ginger etc. I have read many home remedies involving rubbing vegetables on the site but feel an ointment would be better for me...
Any ideas gratefully accepted!
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chillblain ointment?

No idea, but i also would love a fix for this!
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

OK. I've never had chilblains or known anyone or treated anyone so I'm not speaking from experience!!!!

However I've done a bit of research and come up with a few things.

First, most of the info I found was just repeated ad nauseam so it could be a case of it's excellent and worth repeating (or as with a lot of online stuff people just take it as true :? ) But basically the advice says prevention is better than cure so
1) keep at least one room warm
2) wear lots of layers of warm clothing (all over not just hands and feet)
3) keep affected ares dry
4) exercise and gentle massage on a regular basis
5) make sure your shoes are not tight (restricting circulation)
6) if your hands and feet do get very cold rewarm them slowly and gently - not in front of direct heat

As for treatments -
The first aid treatment of chilblain is to stop exposure to cold, remove any wet or constrictive clothing, gently wash and dry the injured area, elevate it, cover it with layers of loose warm clothes and allow to rewarm.
Raw onion rubbed on the affected area (but not if the skins broken) or honey, glycerin and egg white made into a paste with flour are often suggested

Essential oils of rosemary, lavender, helichrysum, black pepper, ginger and myrrh in a carrier oil such as mustard seed and/or calendula would help both prevent and treat. Neem oil is fantastic as well.

Another couple of points -
Chilblains may also indicate a lack of sufficient calcium and silica. Sources of these in the diet are: millet, spinach, figs, almonds, sesame seeds, oats, parsley and all green vegetables.
and finally
Recurrent severe chilblains may also occasionally be a sign of an underlying condition
so it might be worth seeing your doctor.

Hope that helps :icon_smile:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Warm dry woolen gloves and socks (wool complete with lanolin if you have no allergy to it)
Culpeppers says Pennyroyal and Hyssop in ointment.
Snowfire ointment - contains thyme oil and clove oil in vaseline base
Wintergreen ointment - as I remember contains thyme and comfrey in vaseline base
Vicks (Mentholatum) - camphor, menthol,and eucalyptus is what I tend to use before anything else as I have it in the cupboard.
Homeopathic remedy is Arnica ointment and/or tabs, Arsenicum if broken skin. If this doesn't help then Belladonna and Rhus Tox.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Susie

I rushed here to say Snowfire ointment, but Snapdragon said it first! - I get chillblains and this works wonders for me. (I think I have bad circulation, my hands/ feet are always stone cold. I have to warn cats before I stroke them.)
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Righto I found a tiny half used pot of "antibiotic ointment" (mostly beeswax and myrrh by the smell) and have added some generic Vicks ointment, rosemary, clove and marjoram essential oils, a wee sprinkle of chilli powder and some more olive oil, melted it down and mixed it up. I just had a bath and have rubbed it onto my feet and hands so I will let you know how I go.
I have circulation issues like cold extremeties, spider and now a varicose vein so it doesn't surprise me that I now get chillblains.
Thanks for all the helpful advice!
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/