alternative energy in a short term rented property?

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
den_the_cat
Living the good life
Living the good life

alternative energy in a short term rented property?

We're going to be in a rented place for 12-18 months, and that means that we're reluctant to spend money on anything we couldn't take with us when we move again.

I've found an eco-electric supplier but is there anything else sensible which we could do which doesn't involve major upheaval we'd have to make good later? Is there a sensible option which could power stand alone items rather than connect into the grid? (the ground mounted photo electric panels look OK but running the garage freezer off them with no backup makes me nervous!)

We know what we'd like to achieve long term and are wondering if we'd be better just saving our cash now and doing things 'properly' in a couple of years rather than spending money we may need then on a half useful effort now?

Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

well.......

you could go for some pv panels, they're certainly very portable, but you're talking a LOT of money!. If you're in the sticks, you might just get away with a small wind turbine, but I'd probably reluctantly go for the "save it for later" philosophy.
I think it's a "go at it from the other end" scenario - you can't affordably do a lot towards generation, but you can start by making as many savings as practicable - building up a collection of energy saving bulbs - all the old chestnuts, and spend some time reading more deeply into the whole subject - it does take quite a while to "get your head round" alternative energy, and wind generation is a surprisingly complex subject - there are so many variables! Then when you've got the property you're going to stay in, spend some money and then enjoy the low bills.
My personal suggestion for almost every property is a solar warm water heating system - it works, it doesn't cost a fortune, and payback is reasonably swift - then if possible, look at "wind" - grid-tie systems are now coming down in price, in a couple of years, they should be lots more affordable.
Main advice about what NOT to do - roof mounted turbines - DON'T- not with a twenty foot bargepole (I've posted elsewhere on this board at some length on the subject) :geek:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: well.......

Martin wrote:My personal suggestion for almost every property is a solar warm water heating system - it works, it doesn't cost a fortune, and payback is reasonably swift
Yo Martin,

Your not talking about a solar hot water system here are you?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Martin

well yes!

probable freudian slip - down to the fact that as the bloke on the wireless just said "this is the wettest drought for years".........in England we've had weeks of gloom, grey, wind and cold............... :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

doesn't forget, if your renting, anything you want to do will have to be okeyd by the lardlord / agency.

den_the_cat
Living the good life
Living the good life

yep, thats a part of the problem, the small wind turbines (not roof mounted - I'd like to sleep at night) look great and are surprisingly affordable, but even if we get the property we want which is definately a bit in the sticks I don't see the landlord being happy (and plannng permission could take a while too I guess)

Thanks for the advice anyway - it feels a bit half hearted to say we'll do it later, but I couldn't see anything really practical that we could definately take with us. Perhaps I'll rig up a hamster wheel generator for the cats or something :wink: