Rainwater collection off shed roof - advice please!

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Carolinamandolina
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rainwater collection off shed roof - advice please!

Hello - I've got one of those 250 litre water tanks and a shed - would like to set up a simple guttering system to catch the rain off the roof and direct it into the tank, but have no experience of this and could do with some help. All I can find on the internet is systems with pipes coming off the existing guttering of people's houses - but how do you do it when you just have a shed with no guttering on it?

I'd find it really helpful if people could post photos of their shed/tank set up?

Thanks!

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Rainwater collection off shed roof - advice please!

If you google guttering for sheds there are quite a lot of of threads asking the same question on all sorts of forums. I can't begin to tell you how to do it (I don't do DIY!) but you might find some of the threads helpful - I had a quick look at some of the threads and from what they describe (plastic guttering, clips which hold up the guttering and screwing the clips to small battens of wood attached to the side of the shed) it pretty much sounds like what my husband did on the chook shed. I think! (plus a good amount of that plastic (gaffer?) tape :iconbiggrin: ).
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

I seem to seeing a leaflet in B&Q which has instructions and a list of materials needed

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

okra wrote:I seem to seeing a leaflet in B&Q which has instructions and a list of materials needed
Indeed they do ... http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templates ... tering.jsp
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

chuck_n_grace
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi,
One thought that comes to mind is to take a length of PVC piping...about 4 - 6 " long. Cut it lengthwise twice so the 'O' shaped end looks more like a 'C'. You can get an end cap to go on one end. You mount it to the edge of the roof (screws, brackets, etc.). The other end dumps into the container.

Here in the states, I think the 10' length of PVC is comparable in price to a section of aluminum guttering. In the hardware store they often have brochures showing the bits you need to install guttering.

Regards,
Chuck

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

I did my shed/store with cheap plastic guttering and clips. Just screwed it onto the wooden roof supports, used a string line to get slope in right direction, and it all drains into barrels.
Sarah :flower: