Ideas for a money making crop on 3 acres of land please

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Ideas for a money making crop on 3 acres of land please

Maybe see if there's an herbs buyer in the area and see what they're buying? I'm trying to establish a pyrethrum patch on my land, so I can sell the dried flowerheads to be made into insecticides. But there are thousands of herbs on the market, so there must be at least one that suits your needs in terms of labor, soil, climate, etc.

I stumbled accross this website a year ago that had lots of info on growing herbs as a cash crop: http://www.richters.com/show.cgi?page=. ... 3571.23144

locum76
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 56 1538.47
longitude: 3 1337.98

as an experienced market gardener I'd say think outside the box, maybe investigate herbs/ flowers. I know of one small holding on the Black Isle with naff soil that grows arnica for medicine companies. It's an easyish cash crop that only needs harvested, dried and delivered once a year. The small company tops up income with culinary herbs. They seem to get by.

For example, I've heard there is a demand for bog myrtle to make natural insect repellants...

Over three acres you'll struggle to make a living growing fruit and veg.

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

boboff wrote:Do what I do, grow Brambles, Fern, Docks, etc you can do this without expending any energy or money on machinery or subcontractors, financially speaking it gives the best return.

(I REFUSE TO USE A SMILEY HERE TO MAKE IT CLEAR THIS IS MEANT AS A LIGHT HEARTED COMMENT ON THE FACT GROWING ANYTHING BUT WEEDS IS BLOOMIN REALLY HARD!)
oh someone who shares my world!! Thank god! Was getting lonely :lol: :lol:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I would be a millionare if brambles, nettles, docks and bracken were cash crops :shock: :lol: :roll:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.