Anyone else poo-less?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Anyone else poo-less?

Okay, just got OH to smell it. He says,' hmm, it does, citrussy?' No idea where the citrus smell is coming from but it doesn't smell bad so I'm okay with that.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I used to wash my hair every day. Not only was it costing me a fortune in shampoo and conditioner, but my scalp was really itchy and my hair was dry and frizzy.

I gradually cut back to once a week and my hair is miles better. My scalp isn't itchy at all and my hair feels much softer. I still use 'poo but only a small amount. It's made a huge difference.

I've also stopped going to the hairdresser, that just made my hair a mess. Now I just trim the ends a couple of times a year and it looks ok.

Zoe

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Any tips for getting rid of occasional dandruff? It's never bad and I seriously think it's related to diet: less fat/more fat sort of thing.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Mabu
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Apparently rinsing in eggs works (remember to rinse!) But I recommend eating more fats and seeing how it goes.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Mabu wrote:Apparently rinsing in eggs works
But do use cold water. It's a bit of a nightmare trying to pick out bits of omelette if you use hot water.

Zoe

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

There are some EOs that are good for dandruff too. I use tea tree on my eldest to get rid of dandruff and keep the head lice at bay. Peppermint is also supposed to be good when you have an itchy, flaky dry scalp. Lemon is very good when there's dandruff and greasy hair.

wildbee
Tom Good
Tom Good

How's it going with the bicarb? I've switched back and used it three times but it hasn't got my hair completely clean, I think it's not soaking all the way through.

How are you applying yours?

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Very well. Been over a week now and liking my hair. I left it a little too long between the last two washes so my hair was very greasy this morning, but the bicarb wash worked fine.

I'm stirring 1 tbsp of bicarb in with a cup of hot water around half an hour before I go in the shower. Then give my scalp a good scrub with it. If your hair is thick you may need to add some extra. Brown sugar is supposed to be good if you have a lot of dirt, or if particularly greasy - salt. I would think salt is a once when absolutely necessary. That one's 2tbsp to one cup of water, put on your hair for 5 minutes then wash with bicarb mixture.

wildbee
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ah thanks, I don't think I have been using enough! Will report back after a few more washes.

Lillia
Tom Good
Tom Good

Mabu wrote:I came in here ready to recommend you all a good probiotic!

I haven't washed my hair in 2 years, it is thick and long and when I used shampoo it was always dandruffy, itchy and troublesome. The first two weeks without shampoo were bad, my hair was greasy and I could stick it up in a clump about 8" above my head. After that it started to normalise and I have had lush brown locks with good bounce and few knots ever since! The problem most people have is that damn low fat diet they follow. Shampoo forces all the fats and moisture from your hair and scalp replacing it all with chemicals and such. When you stop using it your body forces all the fats and moisture into that area to re-establish, it can take a while to sort itself out and you really need to help it do that by eating lots of olive oil, butter, coconut oil. Coconut does wonder for skin and hair.

-Wash with clean, warm (NOT hot) water every day for the first two weeks.
-Eat lots of coconut oil.
-Do not use hair products.
-Keep all soap away from your head area.
-Drink plenty of water.
-Avoid "vegetable" and "sunflower" oils.

If you do these things there is no reason you should not be able to go without shampoo. It works just as well for your skin too.
I know how bad shampoo is for my hair and scalp but I have dry hair and can't use baking soda or cider vinegar. The problem too is that my hair is very thick and to my waist and somewhere between curly and wavy. I HAVE to use conditioner or I would have a rat's nest on my head. I have always wanted a natural conditioner that not only softens my hair but helps get the tangles out~
I do use coconut oil on my skin but am not sure how to use it in my hair. Also, how should I ingest it?

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try looking on longhaircommunity.com

It's mainly for people growing their hair long, but there are quite a few experiments with different things going on on the boards, including no shampoo.

Look for WO threads (water only).

Also, look for CO (conditioner only) threads. I go CO in the winter and back to shampoo in the summer. I cant be doing with the transition phase.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

I use coconut oil as an intensive conditioner every few weeks. You just rub some into your hair and leave it overnight, you can leave it for less time if you want. I'd advise either sleeping with your head on a towel or popping a shower cap or something on overnight. Coconut oil is probably my favourite one as it smells so nice, although I do have to wash my hair twice the next morning, it's still tangle free and soft afterwards.

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have been trying to get soapwort plants for a while now. I used to grow them for a client in the Uk but can't find them over here. I am going back next week so will visit her and dig some up hopefully. I've never made shampoo from them, but i believe the process is to dig up whole plants and their roots, wash, chop and boil in water. The resulting liquid when strained can be used as shampoo. Has anyone tried this??

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

no, but i'd be interested in how your experiment turns out!