Bed wetting

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 0 0 0
longitude: 51 38 28

Bed wetting

Any hints on bed wetting in older children?

Our son is 6, has just had 2 dry nights then back to the normal twice nightly pees. He sleeps so deeply 50% of the time he doesn't wake atall, the other half he sleep walks into our bed. Last time we tried to get him out of night0time nappies he had 4 dry nights in 3 months!

We have tried reward charts, I get him up to pee, but he always says he is asleep and can't remember. I am reluctant to make a big issue as feel this is counter productive- TMI but I was the same but got punished for it (not that it helped me one bit!)

Any thoughts welcome

Sam
:flower:

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Bed wetting

I've got a son of this age,and he went through a similar thing about a year \18 months ago. I'm wracking what's left of my brain to remember what we did.
Clearly ,admonishment is the last thing he needs.We asked all the usual guff about school worries etc but it didn't seem relevant.In the end a combination of drinking more in the daytime and less in the evening,making sure he had a ceremonial wee before getting in to bed,(7ish)n taking him, often half asleep ,for a pee as we turned in (11ish) he just got over it in a couple of months.It seemed ,as Iremember,a huge deal at the time,but as with so much kid stuff,it now pales into insignificance.

I'm not belittling your present concern,but don't worry too much, BW

sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks Oj. I guess my thing at the moment is he seems no nearer being dry, I do the things you suggest, but will try and lessen his liquid intake after 5. He does seem to be at risk b4 12, so I may have to get him up twice.....

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just get a mattress protector, he'll grow out of it in his own time. Our eldest was the same, we went through all the usual stuff, but she's pretty much grown out of it. Encouraging her to take responsibility a little, in that she cleared up afterwards, seemed to help. She brings down her sheets and now makes her bed again afterwards. Be careful with limiting drinks, one after dinner but before 5 as many as they like. It's easy for them to get used to not drinking and end up with a urine infection.

We still have the odd accident here, but very, very rarely now, she's 8. I was, and am, very reluctant to get outside help. Some kids just do have accidents, no big deal.

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Ok, from personal experience.

I was too deeply asleep to recognise that I needed to get up to go and I dreamed I was using the loo. The reason I remember this is that my parents had invested in an enuresis alarm (1960's technology!) 2 pieces of thin wire mesh separated by a sheet then connected to a 6v alarm bell, wetting with urine completed the circuit and supposedly woke you up "in the act" The problem was that you were still wet, and the sheets still needed changing.

As mentioned in the "stop moaning" thread, it takes around 21 days to change a habit (That means your's as well as your childs') so you have to be rigid with your strategy.

This worked for my son who looked to have the same problem (Don't know if it is hereditary)

Limit fluid intake one and a half hours before bedtime.
Make sure they go to the loo prior to sleeping
Wake your child to wee about one and a half hours after going off to sleep. (Sleep cycles last 90 mins and this is the optimal time to wake them so that they can go off to sleep again with not too much trouble).
I your child does want a drink, limit it to half a cup. just enough to "Whet the whistle"

Good luck! PM me if you think I can help further.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good

I do think he is so asleep he just doen't realise- I remember that too. I've also read children who sleep walk will often bed wet, as it is the same disfunction of rem sleep.

Thanks for advice- really nice to know we are not alone- will post a progress report!!

sam

sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hurrah!!

For the first time we have 3 dry nights. And getting more dry nights that before-- it does seem to go in cycles.

Thanks for all the advice. Sometimes just knowing others have been thro this and got to the other side is all thats needed, and a reminder that it's ok and will sort itself out!

Sam

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

i saw this on an episode of super nanny.

her advice was to:

1. reduce fluid intake after dinner before bed.
2. take the child to pee imidiatly prier to bed.
3. wake the child a few times during the night to take them to tthe toilet.
4. if the child wets the bed make them get up and help you change the sheets so they understand the problem ( without shouting at them ).
5. give lots of paise and encourage ment everytime they have a dry night and everytime they sussesfully wake up to pee in the toilet.

my daughter is nearly 5 and iv never really had problems with her wetting the bed at night.
although it was a nightmare to toilet train her, she was wetting herself during the day almost daily until she was nearly 3. she would sit on the potty for ages and not do anything then id take her off and she pee her pants within a few minets, it was so frustrating. but she was usually allways dry at night. i think shes only wet the bed 4 or 5 times in total.
but i allways take her to pee on the way to bed and first thing when she wakes up.
shes had a few accidents since she started nursary when she turned 3, but thats because shes so engrossed in what shes doing she doesnt want to go to the toilet. she still does that, i see her dancing arround and tell her to go but she doesnt want to and i have to carry her there and sit he on the toilet and she will be still adimant she doesnt need while she is peeing.
when my son was born she regressed a bit and started peeing herself again, probably for attention, but since i started putting my son on the potty at 4 months she sees him using the potty and shes never wet herself since ( now hes 9 months )
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Povester
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

My eldest son still wets the bed at nine. His younger brothers 6 and 3 are both dry so I really feel for him. We tried all sorts but nothing helped. Then a 'couple of weeks ago I heard of a self-hypnosis CD by Lynda Hudson called I'm Dry at Night. I was a little sceptical but thought it was worth a go, I know hypnosis can be effective for lots of problems. My son listened to it as he went off to sleep and it worked! He had four dry nights in a row (and he is never dry). We heard him get up for a wee in the night which never happens, I think the problem has been down to very deep sleep. However, he was getting very tired and the success of it made him feel a bit pressured (how contrary!). We have just moved house and he's just started a new school so I wanted to spare him any more upset. He's stopped listening to it and he's wetting the bed again but we're going to give it a good go over the Summer holidays. Fingers crossed.

Cath