Help - Me pigs are having a punch up

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help - Me pigs are having a punch up

Can anyone give me some advice. I have two pot bellied pigs, they are my pets not to eat. They were neutered at 12 weeks old and they are now about 15 months old. This morning everything was hunky dory, they had their breakfast and then went outside in the field, we heard some crashing around and the two boys are rolling around going mad at each other, we hosed them off and they stopped they starting crashing against each other again. We managed to seperate them for 5 or 6 hours then I let them look at each other through a fence, well they started going mad again crashing against the wire fence. Can anyone tell me, is this is, will they never get on again, seems a shame to split them up. I did have two pigs a long time ago male and female and they didn't like each other much, the female was a later introduction but they didn't go at it like this. I would be very grateful for any advice anyone has

Thanks

Lyn

marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Help - Me pigs are having a punch up

Could it be a hierachy thing like chickens fighting to determine their pecking order - if it is it wont stop til one backs down.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

oldjerry

I trust you've got them outside.Put a fence between the two,down the middle of the run.Chances are you'll find them lying down with each other either side of the fence.But VPB pigs are a bit different as they 've been breed as pets ,not real pigs,so they can be more difficult to handle. BWs.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have a byre and they have their own pen in there where they sleep at night, during the day they get turned out into a field so they don't have a run or anything, just a 3 acre field. Not sure we will be able to sort this out easily, they really hate the sight of each other

Stonehead

Certain combinations of ours sows used to do this. Put the wrong two together and they’d bash it out for days trying to establish who was top pig. Put one of the real boss ladies in and the fighting pair would promptly behave. If left alone, they’d eventually wear each other out. After a week or so…

I had to put a few stitches in from time to time to make things interesting.