Are Early Broad Beans Worth It?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Are Early Broad Beans Worth It?

Thinking of what I can grow in my new greenhouse - about all I am ready to be able to sow is Aquadulce Claudia. But is it really worth starting them off now? Is there a noticeably early start next year? Have never overwintered them before.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are Early Broad Beans Worth It?

It all depends of course what sort of winter you are going to get.
I sowed Aquadulce just over 2 weeks ago and they're just coming up now. I have tested them before (and peas) with overwintered ones against spring sown ones and it's usually about 2 weeks earlier for the overwintered ones. Bear in mind that the ones sown now will be up and growing before the cold weather comes and if you get a long cold spring then germination in cold soil is not so easy.
Two things spring to mind, autumn or spring sown beans will be cropping in May, so could interfere with tomatoes, peppers etc, and if you do sow them make sure you plant them by the door. Broad beans need bees to pollinate the flowers to get a crop, so make it easy for them to get in (and out again)
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Flo

I've had good results from winter sown broad beans. I think that Bonnie's broad beans will be outside by the time that they need pollinating as it's not the biggest greenhouse that she has (stop thinking polytunnel that man) so shouldn't be a problem.

bonniethomas06

Thanks - I think I will give them a go then. It is 12x8 but as you say, shame to waste tomato space, I would probably sow in pots and plant out early.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Flo

That's what I do Bonnie.