skype phones

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

skype phones

anyone have a skype phone? are they worth investing in and do you have to have your computer on all the time to use it?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

den_the_cat
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have skype but haven't bothered to get a skype phone with it - if you have a PC with a microphone and speaker it costs nothing because Skype itself is free to download. Phones are aboput £30 and plus into your computer.

I use it all the time to speak to friends/colleagues/customers who have skype and its great quality. Most people use a headset but I tend to just talk in the direction of my laptop and it picks it up fine, I think the quality loss is dependent on the qauipment rather than skype. I've only ever tried it with broadband though.

Yes you need to have your PC on to run it, and its not really a replacement for a standard phone (not least because you need to have either dial up or ADSL to use the internet which means you have to have a phone line anyway).

You can call non skype numbers (normal phone lines) on it sometimes free and sometimes charged, depending on destination, and you can receive calls from normal phones if you pay for a 'skype number' which allows them to call you which is useful if you don't want to get calls on your mobile abroad.

There are other services which people say are better (like Vonage but you have to pay which pretty much negates the object for me)

And you can do conference calls, and video conferencing (which I've never tried but its meant to be standard fairly skippy VC)

Definately worth getting :)

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've also got the skype but not the skype phone itself. We did get one with our BT broadband but our connection speed was so dire at first we haven't yet set this up. Will give it a go though - we've got the equipment as it came free with our bb and you just use an ordinary handset that plugs into YET ANOTHER modem.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

worth thinking about then. will have a bit more of a look into it.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

The Chili Monster

Now that Skype is finally allowing alternative methods of payment to credit cards, I am defo interested. If I can route calls from an 0845 number, then I am sold.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

The Chili Monster

The One Show (BBC1, Mon-Fri, 7pm) featured an article on Internet telephony.
Here's a brief report:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/theoneshow/feature ... alls.shtml
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

quercusrobur
Tom Good
Tom Good

Just installed Skype today, the Permaculture Association Council of Management have been thinking about using it for our teleconfernences as at the moment we are being charged £15 a time by our current provider. However although Sype offers free teleconferening its only up to 5 people allowed so won't be much use for us, but might be usable for teleconfernces of smaller working parties, etc.
Last edited by quercusrobur on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.spiralseed.co.uk

"Integrated Design for Local Environmental Resources"

Shirley

quercusrobur wrote:However although Sype offers free teleconferening its only up to 5 people allowed so won't be much use for us, but might be usable for teleconfernces of smaller working parties, etc.
That would be useful to the Neeps! group - thank you.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

goldy1
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

even if you don't use the phone bit it's a great instant mesanger
We've had one for a while now and it's been worth it's money. My OH bought a rare collectable from Austraila (because thats the only place that it was released in) He had some probs with the delivery. So he used skype to phone oz only cost 3p a min.
Don't belive everything you think.

Karen_Grace
Tom Good
Tom Good

skype phones

Sorry if I sound a bit stupid, but what are you on about? I've got broadband so are you saying I can run a phone for free on the internet? If so, how do I do it?
Karen

goldy1

the only time it's free is if the person our phoning has skype , otherwise it's cheaper than normal. http://www.skype-stop.com/index.asp?s=o ... C=standard
Don't belive everything you think.

Tay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: skype phones

Karen_Grace wrote:Sorry if I sound a bit stupid, but what are you on about? I've got broadband so are you saying I can run a phone for free on the internet? If so, how do I do it?
Basically, yes.

This technology is VOIP (Voice Over IP) and allows you to make phone calls through your pc. Various companies provide the service, with Skype being one of the more well known ones. VOIPBuster are another. If you are to call somebody else who is on Skype, for example, and you also have Skype, the phone calls are free. If they are not on Skype, there is a call charge, but it is often very small (1 or 2 pence per minute). Broadband is essential, and preferably you should be running an operating system higher than Win98. All you have to do is choose your provider, download/install the program, and hook up a microphone and earphones and then start chatting.
Not all those who wander are lost...

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

So if you had sattelite Broadband, you could do away with phone lines/companies?

Tay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Unless things have changed (or I'm completely wrong!), no, that's not possible. While you download by the receiving satellite dish, all sending requests/uploads are via the phone line. Aside from that, satellite broadband is quite costly, although coming down in price. Transmitting dishes (for doing away with a phone line) are huge.
Not all those who wander are lost...