Treebogs

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Treebogs

Have you ever built a treebog? We were discussing this last night but, we are unsure if we deturf (is that a word!?!) and dig down a bit as well? As far as I'm aware is that it is merely a wee shed on stilts (perhaps you take up the turf up but, don't actually need to go any deeper than this?) and below the shed you contain the pile by nailing boards to the stilts with 1 inch of space between for ventilation and wire mesh over the boards to keep curious creatures out. Then plant your twa ticht rows of willow around the edges of the shed.

this is roughly the right idea, ay?

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Never actually heard of it, but this came up first on Google, which you have probably already have seen.

What an interesting idea.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

aye... there is not a real lot of info out there... but, the one I saw was completely constructed of willow... with living willow walls and everything and a crude platform, pretty cool. I assume you could just build a normal type wood compost bin with really tall buried corner posts then add a floor about a meter up from the ground and build the walls and a simple shed roof. Plant your willow and thats it. Would just treat as a normal dry toilet, adding sawdust or peat after number 2.

I see you can also just build the shed on stilts then staple two layers of chicken wire with straw stuffed between the layers to soak up moisture and keep beasties out.

I'm going to plant some willow next week on the croft and I think I'll measure out where I'lll build the treebog and plant a few willow cuttings to get it started.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

If your concern is about the timber posts rotting, maybe you could build the shed across the top of drystone walls, or some rammed earth tyres, perhaps.

Are you familiar with The Humanure Handbook? Free download, interesting bedtime reading.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Muddypause wrote:If your concern is about the timber posts rotting, maybe you could build the shed across the top of drystone walls, or some rammed earth tyres, perhaps.

Are you familiar with The Humanure Handbook? Free download, interesting bedtime reading.
aye... that is a spring project too! Jenkins' Humanure Hacienda! Besides the future treebog we will have a dry bucket loo in the yurt. Great book ay? drystone sounds good (bro is a stonemason... he could knock that up)... that would ventilate as well.. with the gaps between the stones. good idea.

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well, I've started on the treebog! Got all the willow planted in anyways. :-)

Going to plant comfrey immediately around it as well. Will start the platform as the willow grows then eventually the wee shack on top the platform after that. I've done it roughly 1.7 meters square.