Fantasy-Ish island

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.

Where would Ish Island be?

Europe
59%
Antipodean
9%
African coast
3%
American West coast
No votes
American East coast
3%
Indonesia
3%
Mediterranean
22%

Total votes: 32

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

No, not the lottery, Fee. I will personally offer you much better odds of winning.

Instead of spending a fiver on the lottery this week, send it to me. I will give you odds of 50% that I will let you have it back.

In fact, in the spirit of good will and generosity, I will extend this offer to any SS-ish member.

Trust me, that's a much better offer than the lottery.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I read about a bloke once who put an ad in a magazine that read - Send 5$ and an address. All the people who sent in their $5 got peed off when nothing came back. He said - I never said I would send anything!.

Law though that it was implied that they would recieve something for their money and he copped a yelling.

Beware Stew! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The med for me maybe not that good for growing somestuff but think of the olives and the herbs and the goats and the weather would be great for my aches and pains!!!!

glenniedragon

I could have a go at making Feta, sitting in an olive grove with a picnic of olives and feta, dolamades and homemade wine....ahhhh

kind thougths
Deb

Em
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Black Bear Ranch / new Ish comm.?

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I was actually looking for information about Black Bear Ranch; maybe some1 could point me in the direction of that?
Making a new commune/fantasy island also sounds interesting. What kind of skills would we be needing?

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

If I didn't already live on a paradise Island It would have to be Cumbrae for me, surrounded by some great fishing you'd never go hungry, reasonable climate (for the west coast) great wind rescource, reasonable access ( I work for Cal Mac so I travel free :lol: ) Glasgow on your doorstep (friendliest city on the planet and great for gigs) A fairly remote location with 3 million people on your doorstep to buy all your organic produce :cooldude: mind you when the cr4p does hit the fan come peak oil they'd all be wanting a piece :(

Good luck, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Arimiel
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

This sounds good.... i am in on Cumbrae..... if i ever get the money together... i have no special skill... but i am fairly good with animals.... ( i am getting a hands on training on a lokal animal resort... from mai to june.... there i am learning everything about sheep...pigs..mules...alpaca...
and i have an untrained (well she was trained but she got nutters after my sitster died) horse.... i know how to take care of horses and cows.... ( i am riding bareback).... and i am a fast learner... and hard worker....
Crumbrae sounds the most resonable so far not because of the price.... but because it is indeed defendeable....and the main plot is significant higher than sealevel..... (i read "the larks they sang melodious" yesterday... and am reading a disaster survival guide... so do not mind my musings).... but i am concerned over taxes.... because they seem pretty random in the uk....i've read about some Island that is paying only to pounds tenure.... per year..... because they there never put under inflation the last 200 years or something... and the water is also an issue.... are ther natural springs on the island... i do not think that an island has much worth without an selfsufficient water supply .....
I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.
Frank Lloyd Wright (1869 - 1959)

glenniedragon

The island does still appear to be for sale!
Still would be on my list of things to buy if I came into that sort of cash, would that make me a Laird? is there a female version or a plural? It would be lovely wouldn't it........still not volunteering to go fishing!
I have no idea about the water supply- would a wind powered desalination plant be impossible? or some kind of evaporation device, ah the dream...
:cooldude:

kind thoughts
Deb

hamster

A Lairdette, maybe?
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lady, the village my sister lives in is mostly owned by (I think) Lady Kate, she is some kind of Queen's 15th cousin and lady in waiting to one of the other royals.

But if we all were land owners then would we all be lairds and ladies? or would we have to nominate a high heidyin?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

QuakerBear

I'm in.

I'll bring veggie skills and I'm a beginner bee-keeper as well. I'm also good at sewing and textiles so I'll make you all funky uniforms. Mr. QB is a biologist and possibly one of the best scientists in the whole world (really) so he'd help out with the biological health of the island.

Would it be possible to declare independance? We could have our own national anthem and flag and national hat. Ooo, excited now.
QuakerBear

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

i could plant forests and coppices near the village, small plantations of different species to use for various jobs. not forgetting orchards and willow beds. wow ! utopia .
we should all go and squat on an empty island :wink:

Russ
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Helsbells

A commune would be my worst nightmare, I am like Tom and Barbera Good in the Guru of Surbiton, I have my own commune right here, just me and my boyfriend Paul, in the middle up suberbia! and I love it.

Thurston Garden

I am in too - Cumbrae gets my vote. Used to do the pier rent review there regularly for Liz. Would be interesting to act for Lady Glenniedragon and against Her Maj hehe. The rent is still probably £125 a year (far too much now the boot is on the other foot, grumble grumble....)

I think about this type of project regularly. More so after watching Survivor. Makes my heid birl with excitement! :happy6:

I have recently finished reading Soil & Soul by Alastair Mcintosh - one of the founder members of the Isle of Eigg Trust (strangely, where my Crown Estate client chappie went to work, on behalf of the Trust, not the CE.). The book is inspirational, although a bit theological for me.

Now...how to work on the OH?
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I couldn't live in commune. I could point you in the direction of my step-father-in-law though; he could be quite helpful having been a long haired hippy living in a commune type of a blokie in the 70s....

having said that though...... my hubby has an uncanny knack of being able to fix almost anything mechanical, and I can gwo aloe veras without thinking about it. :lol:
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!