Fungi for the fun of it

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Fungi for the fun of it

I've no idea what these are but I enjoyed a wander around the woods taking photos of fungi and other bits and pieces. If anyone has any suggestions as to what they are then please do let me know.

1. Image

2. Image

3. ImageImageImageImage

4. Image

5. Image

6. Image
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fungi for the fun of it

I think No 3 is Antabuse Ink Cap.

That's the one that's edible as long as you don't drink any alcohol with it.
Used to be a treatment for alcoholics as it makes you violently sick (apparently)
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

red

no idea - but you take lovely pictures.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Rosendula

Odsox wrote:I think No 3 is Antabuse Ink Cap.

That's the one that's edible as long as you don't drink any alcohol with it.
Used to be a treatment for alcoholics as it makes you violently sick (apparently)
AAARRRRGGGHH!
I've been finding some that look like that and I WAS 100% certain I was eating Shaggy Cap, as shown in one of my books. Now you say
...That's the one that's edible...
. Does that mean there are some that look like this that are NOT edible? :pale: As I say, I WAS 100% certain. Now I'm not. I didn't suffer any ill effects, but we only had 4 small ones between 2 of us, then on another occasion I had 1 large one.

Could you please tell me the names of any poisonous ink caps that you know of so that I can look them up for future reference.

Oh, I wish I could get the hang of this mushroom id thing :roll: . I pick so many different ones and other than this I've thrown them all away because I wasn't sure.
Rosey xx

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rosendula wrote:Does that mean there are some that look like this that are NOT edible? :pale:

Could you please tell me the names of any poisonous ink caps that you know of so that I can look them up for future reference.
Sorry Rosendula, I could have phrased that better. AFAIK there are only two Inkcaps that grow in the British Isles; the Shaggy Inkcap and the Antabuse Inkcap.
Both are edible, BUT ... no alcohol with the Antabuse one (see above post).
The Shaggy one is obvious once you've seen one, very shaggy top like a lawyers wig (it's other common name) and also taller, up to a foot tall where the Antabuse is rarely taller than 4 inches.
Hope that helps.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Rosendula

Phew! Thanks Tony.
These were only small, but they were shaggy. I don't think they would ever get chance to grow really big where I found them as the council's grass cutters go there regularly. Good to know about the alcohol thing though :drunken:
Rosey xx