Help - Rats in the polytunnel

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Lisaf
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Help - Rats in the polytunnel

Help - rats in the polytunnel!
We have an infestation of rats in our polytunnnel, vegetables are growing and I'm afarid of disease. Does anyone know, do I have to remove all the droppings from the area or can they be safely dug in? Are the cabbages etc ok to eat if they have been boiled or do I have to chuck it all away?

pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Help - Rats in the polytunnel

Hi lisaf, you really need to be looking to remove the rats, rather than attempting to clear-up after them. Rat urine can pass on Weils desease (particularly if you have a cut/broken skin on your hand.) I don't want to seem alarmist, but Weils is fatal, if not treated in time. As for cooking/eating stuff, i don't think it would be a problem ----- but don't take my word for it. Best to check.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

red

its not the droppings - but the pee.. thats the problem.. and you can't clear that up - but realistically there are rats everywhere, and you should treat all garden produce as though there are rats about.. this simply means washing things well before eating them. Cooking obviously makes them more hygenic too.

If I were you I would look at getting some traps, or a cat... or a jack russel...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Or Greyhounds...mine have had two rats this year.

MuddyWitch
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Soloby Rob
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

The obvious answer here is to get rid of the rats, traps are effective but you need to attach the traps to something solid with a bit of string, as a caught rat can often drag a trap away.
The other very effective method is an airgun, or get someone in with some good dogs, but whatever you do, get rid of them sooner than later.
Never touch a rat with bare hands and dispose of them by digging deep.
I'm a mechanic by trade but the last couple of years I've branched out into gardening and pest control, so if you need any further advice just ask, you never know!! I might be able to help. :thumbleft:
Rob
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Lisaf
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks to everyone for the very sound advice. We have put poison down and it looks like we are getting on top of the problem...for now! Does anyone have any great tips for keeping them out long term - my dogs don't seem interested!

MuddyWitch

The fact that your dogs show no interest is, infact, probably for the best. Our greyhound, Dana, has killed two & each time she's had to be on anti-biotics & it's a huge worry.

As for keeping them out, physical barriers are probably the best bet, but the bu**ars can tunnel! Are you near a zoo? Lion dung is supposed to deter them & zoos sell it for a nominal price. (Well Twycross & Woburn do)

Otherwise its just a case of not leaving anything that might attract 'em. But just having a nice dry nest is probably attraction enough! :?

We had 'em in our compost "darlec" and every time we went passed it we thwacked it with a big stick & we regularly dosed it with scalding tea (and icy water in the Winter). In the end we moved the "darlec" to the other end of the garden.

Best of Luck

MW

Rosendula

I thought rather than start a new thread I tag another question onto the end of this one. Hope nobody minds :wink:

I found a rather deceased rat floating in my water butt. Should I get rid of the water, or will it be safe to use on the veg patch, bearing in mind I have a 2.667 year old who does a lot of mud castle building and likes making mud pies? She's not coming with me to the allotment at the moment because the Rat Man keeps putting poison down inside my shed, but once he stops I'll probably want to take her along with me again.
Rosey xx

Millymollymandy

I'm not sure, but interested in the replies. I think I'd get rid of the water because it's not like you'll have a problem filling the water butt again in winter! It gives you a chance to clear out the gunk at the bottom of the butt anyway.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MuddyWitch

I totally agree with MMM, where kids are concerned I'd always use the "belt & braces" approach, and as your little one isn't with you at the moment this would seem an ideal time.

Your plants will prefer fresh rainwater too, butts can hold all sorts of unpleasent stuff if they're not regularly cleaned of gunk. A lot of damping-off could be avoided too.

MW