Stig of the dumpster

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Davy stephenson

Stig of the dumpster

Removed by author
Last edited by Davy stephenson on Tue May 26, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seraphim
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Stig of the dumpster

I must admit I do always have a nose in skips if I see them. There just never seems to be very may around where I live... we're in the 'poor' suburb of our city, people round here don't have the money to redecorate/remodel which seems to be what leads to most skips.

But still, I do keep a look out.... the best price is free, after all.

Treelover
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 52
longitude: 0

with a lot of places being refurbished near us - newly a uni town and property being turned into student flats - i make a point of making a cup of tea for the workmen and ask if they wouldn't like to save the price of one skip if i take away the wood and anything else that takes my fancy. last house that was done up i got about three weeks worth of wood for burning, a nice washing up bowl and two duvets that only wanted washing as well as a couple of kitchen chairs that didn't match [!!!!!]. two doors down; no distance at all, gloat. i do poke in skips i see as well, i must admit! one man's junk is another man's treasure; and besides i'm dead nosy.

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

i have to admit i am a compulsive skip diver much to the beloveds disgust
but had a good dive the other day 2 petrol strimmers and a jockey wheel for my trailer (i will not lose this one by driving down m-way with out lifting it)
try hard mean well and never give up

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yip another skip diver here. I've had some great finds, rocking horse, playpen for the baby, 3 ride on cars for the kids and a rake! Brought them all home and gave them a clean! X

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Removed by author............................strange topic :mrgreen:

Dave :pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

Funny tittle my partner called me Steptoe today. The local council are filling in deep crevices in the country paths used by tractors with ruins from demolished houses and I have been busy with my wheelbarrow extracting all the wood (for the wood stove), and any other thing which might come in handy.

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

found more 'treasure' today
todays haul a kiddies wheel barrow :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
try hard mean well and never give up

Goldfang
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Iam a diehard skip diver, best find from a financial point of view was an Art Nouveau bohemean glass vase- £110 at auction! Recent finds - An Arto Deco chrome fireside companion set in mint condition, now sitting by the woodburner. A very good quality lightweight bycycle frame- all Reynolds 531 double butted tubing for those in the know, now coverted into a fixed wheel town bike. And most recently a load of old tins, tobacco, 1930's oxo etc. Not to mention over the years tons of firewood and useful every day items. Every skip has something, even in the most unlikely places. I find ones outside shops that are being converted can yield some interesting stuff.
Regards, Goldfang.

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Why have some folks removed their posts?

We are always on the lookout for good skip finds but ours mostly are from new builds around here what with all the subdivisions going on, we go rummaging in skips to get out new materials that the builders have wastefully thrown away ... we even call ourselves skip rats.
I don't care, if I can get a trailer full of new bricks for free out of a skip then I'm laughing and they are stupid as far as I'm concerned.

Big Al

Acording to mrs ba skippy lives in steptoes yard........ with her...
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

scrap
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Have you ever found something that has absolutely no use to you but you dragged it home anyway?
This evening I found a one meter long blackboard ruler.
The type that was used in most Dutch schools in my childhood,late 70's.
It was lying on a heap of shabby furniture,ripped carpet and triplex wall panelling,the tell-tale signs of home renovation.

The old worn looking wooden thing triggered childhood memory's of a warm classroom,motes of chalk dust drifting in the sunlight and the smell of pencils being sharpened.
It has a nice black and white checkered pattern of centimeters,and the decimeters are marked out in alternating red lines under the checks.

It's currently lying on a narrow ledge in my hall, above my front door.
The relic was slightly damp with frost,so I decided to dry it slowly over there to prevent warping.
I have a nagging feeling it shall remain there for quite a while, 'cause I'll probably escape my memory pretty soon..

:dontknow:

:lol:
''I'm riding a pig and trashing things,I dunno what else I'm supposed to do here.''
(My wife, while playing Lego pirates of the carribean.)

''If you open your mind too far your brain will fall out''