Things to do list

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Things to do list

1. Stop faffing on computer and get up!

2. Pick yet more courgettes and make soup (from about 5kg worth)

3. Make damson chutney for the OH - but only got 1.5kg of fruit - first check though that fruit isn't full of grubs. Rather hope it is.

4. Pick runner beans. Compost the rbs that are in the fridge (2 carrier bags full). :pale:

5. Ditto french beans.

6. Pick elderberries then compost last year's frozen ones.

7. Start picking some blackberries - major task here are they are in really difficult inaccessible places either really high up in the hedge involving ladders or on a practically vertical slope above the ditch full of 8 foot high nettles.

8. Make greengage jam from the underripe good fruit that I picked the other day in an attempt to get them before the birds/wasps. Hope they aren't full of grubs like the early ripening ones which have lots of blemishes/holes in them, so here's hoping.

9. Hoe veg patch which is getting really weedy.

10. Do loads of other gardening jobs which need doing, including my ornamental stuff.

11. Do laundry which is mounting up. Stare at the dirty floor covered in cat hairs and (not literally!) brush than one aside for the time being. Take cat to the vet (again). Go to shops to bulk buy sugar and vinegar. Dump cucumbers on neighbour as going past.

12. Scream and wonder why I'm doing this. It just gets all too much at this time of year. I begin to doubt whether I really want to be doing this at all. :scratch: Then in winter when I'm eating my chutney/jam/frozen soup/whatever it seems worth it. Need some sort of happy medium/balance I think!

How do you all cope/find enough hours in the day/find the energy/find the ENTHUSIASM? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

prison break fan

Re: Things to do list

It all sounds so familiar! I could have written it!! pbf.

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I hope that I can continue to find the enthusiasm as we do more and more by remembering how desperately I want to de at the point of being more self sufficient. But that's easy to say as I look out at my tiny courtyard garden and contemplate the two year allotment waiting list!

My to do list today is a bit more mundane:
1) Research pensions article (the money will go into the self sufficiency savings pile!)
2) Label blackberry jam and store
3) Pick more wild fruit
4) Order vinegar/bicarb etc for cleaning (ooh, must ask if anyone knows a good bulk source)
5) Phone National insurance contributions office and ask what on earth they want from me
6) Measure my dining room to see if freebie table I've been offered will fit
7) Order glamorous new loaf tins, now I've finally decided what I want (unless I change my mind again, for the 3,000th time)

You know all those people who say they would be bored being a stay at home parent? How on earth do they find the time to be bored?
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

MMM, are you sure that isn't my list?

I must add to the top...

Take copious amounts of painkillers (to get through the one 'child free' day I have had in 2 weeks, and the first reasonably shingles free day in around a month) because I hurt my neck looking at those bloody shooting stars last night and this is the only chance I get to to get some real work done.... I can't just lie down all day :(
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Islay wrote: 4) Order vinegar/bicarb etc for cleaning (ooh, must ask if anyone knows a good bulk source)
I use summer naturals,well priced and good service - I always buy w-a-a-a-y more EOs than I need :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a list as long as my arm ... no longer as my arms aren't that long (the deep pockets/short arms variety) :lol:
But I'm sitting here drumming my fingers waiting for the rain to stop, and have been for most of the so called summer I might add.
I have a lawn you could hide an elephant in.
A greenhouse that needs rebuilding.
Raspberries that need picking.
2nd early potatoes that need digging.
Digging to be done where the onions & garlic were.
Plus all the other little jobs that can't be done when it's wet.

I sincerely hope we get a fine, dry autumn like the last 3 years.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Millymollymandy

Well I didn't for one minute think I was the only one with a list like that :lol: but just wondered whether you are all still smiling or finding it a bit too much? :?

That list isn't all to be done today, obviously! But the courgette soup is sort of made. It's drizzly which I'm pleased about as I don't want to be inside if it is nice out there.

And just when you think you are getting somewhere there's all those other little things that need attention like loads more caterpillars to pick off your brassicas or the cucs need tying in again.

I guess I'm just in a bit of a bah humbug mood. :(

Millymollymandy

Annpan wrote:Take copious amounts of painkillers (to get through the one 'child free' day I have had in 2 weeks, and the first reasonably shingles free day in around a month) because I hurt my neck looking at those bloody shooting stars last night and this is the only chance I get to to get some real work done.... I can't just lie down all day :(
I was wondering how you were doing. :(

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very, very sore!!!!! and my itching is returning.... arrrrhhhh!!!

I'm going to take more ibuprofen now and put in for a replacement body... this one SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

I got a little bit of the chicken proof fence built but not enough (meanwhile my chooks are happily parading around the veg patch) We are picking up 3 girls on Sunday I don't think I can cope with chasing 5 chickens out of the veg beds and back to where they are supposed to be - mind you, everything is pretty sturdy this time of year, so at least no damage is being done.

Thanks for asking MMM
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

red

I've been really lazy and not done much yet.. had a lie in and everything. but i was working in the kitchen until 1030 last night. thats my excuse....

so today i must:

doing the morning animal check (done)
afternoon animal check
water greenhouses
cut off dodgy looking leaves off tomatoes that are probably blight
wash and sort a few hundred more potatoes
braise then freeze red cabbage
quiche for tea tonight
pick up windfall apples
pick blackberries
feed the pigs
cut some wood
washing out
more washing on
more washing out
washing in
process and freeze some of the tomato mountain
work (my job)
egg squish the cabbages psb and sprouts
sort out dead printer

I'll prolly get distracted and do other things....
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Flo

So I'm not too far behind compared with the rest of you then. Thank heavens for that.