Odour removing

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Odour removing

Although my house is really clean and aired all the time, there are still smells that build up on soft furnishings. Although I'd love to be able to wash all these every week, I can't!! :lol: Does anyone have any eco tips for removing odours from carpets, curtains and furniture?

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Odour removing

You could try bicarb? dust it on the carpet and furniture and hoover it off.

What are the smells coming from?

If it is bad...
I would give the curtains a wash with a biological washing powder (nothing else will shift 'animal' smells the same)
get rid of the carpets IMO very dirty things indeed, you can never get them properly clean :pale:
Get removable covers for the soft furnishings that can get popped in the wash when they need it.

I know you say you can't clean your house all the time but smells are a sign of bacteria and other yukky stuff, can't just leave them to stink :pale:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

A simple remedy for your carpet is mix some lavender flowers and rosemary leaves with a load of bicarb.

Store it for a couple of days for their scents to mix, then scatter thinly on the carpet - a la "shake and vac" (I use an old flour shaker- well I did when we had carpets).

Leave on for about half an hour then vac off.

The bicarb absorbs a lot of your carpet smells and the herbs leave a gentle scent.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

It's just general lingering cooking smells, etc, that no-one else seems to notice (not even OH!) but I can't stand! I'm definitely sensitive to it because I notice even after a good airing! I love a nice smelling home, but am reluctant to resort to air fresheners so I'll give the bi-carb a go, that sounds good :flower:

charlotticus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 52.71
longitude: .74

I use Eden EM Ecological Cleaner. Its a fantastic, cost effective, environmently friendly way of cleaning your whole house.
EM stands for effective microbacteria you can read all about it on line.
You can buy a 3L box of the active liquid from the recycleworks for about £17. I split this box with my friend and it will last for more than a year. For every litre of water add 10ml of cleaner, and spray away!
The probiotic cleaner is amazing at getting rid of smells, keeps bathrooms and work surfaces sparkling clean, and it is actually beneficial to the environment.
For your soft furnishings, just mix up a bottle to spray a few sprays on your furniture each day and you will be amazed at the difference.
Its not invasive, chemical free, cheap, you can put a bit in your washing machine, in the dishwasher, down drains, its fine for septic tanks (even helps keep smells at bay).