What can I grow that I don't need to keep buying seeds for?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

What can I grow that I don't need to keep buying seeds for?

Hi everyone, I'm new to veg growing so would be grateful for your expert advice! I've grown a few things this year, but am trying to make a good plan for next year. Could anyone tell me what I can grow that I can easily save seeds/ cuttings from? and how do I save seeds?? I imagine some must be easier than others :flower:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: What can I grow that I don't need to keep buying seeds for?

If you have a look on Real Seeds website - I think it is www.realseeds.co.uk - but you can google them.

They have a great section on saving seeds, and the seeds they sell can all be collected in future, if you see what I mean. So even if you need to buy some for next year you should be able to collect from then on. You can let things like onions and celery etc go to seed and collect, but it depends on your original stock if they'll come true next year. Hybrids tend to revert to one of the parent varieties.

Not sure about cuttings - most veg are annuals. There are things like salsify, jerusalem artichokes, spuds and horseradish that you could propagate by dividing the roots/saving tubers, but I can't think of much else offhand.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Runner beans and broad beans are easy to collect the seeds from.

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Both runner beans and broad beans will cross easily with other varities if anybody else is growing any nearby. They'll grow OK but you'll have no certainty that they'll be what you want. French beans however pretty much keep themselves to themselves so they're pretty sure to come true to type. Peas are good too as they tend to pollinate themselves before the flowers actually open.

Helsbells

Heh heh yes it can be interesting what comes up. I had some purple runner beans amongst my green ones this year!

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Wow the real seeds website is really good thanks, lots to try there! :cheers:

Shirley

perennial veg - someone started a thread on neeps earlier in the year.

I grew some walking onions, aka tree onions and they are GREAT. They grow little onions at the top of the plant where you might expect the flower to be and they also produce onions at the bottom. The onions at the top can either be used for pickling or the plant will droop over (or could be encouraged) and the little onions will root and produce more. It's gorgeous too.

Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Milims

We seem to have grown lots of tomatoes and sunflowers without planting any seeds at all! You've guessed it - home made compost! :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Big Al

Broad Bean wrote:Both runner beans and broad beans will cross easily with other varities if anybody else is growing any nearby. They'll grow OK but you'll have no certainty that they'll be what you want. French beans however pretty much keep themselves to themselves so they're pretty sure to come true to type. Peas are good too as they tend to pollinate themselves before the flowers actually open.
Typical French behaviour then......
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Those tree onions are brilliant! Can't wait until we have a bit more space to try all of these things.
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

Millymollymandy

Coriander, let some flower then go to seed and just harvest the seed by shaking the seed heads into a paper bag.

I have found that my own saved seed isn't very flavoursome to use as ground coriander in curries, soups etc though - maybe it's not hot enough here. But they sure grow fine from my seed.

Ditto dill. Actually I don't need to save the seed as they just self seed everywhere!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Rhubarb or asparagus if you can persuade someone who's splitting roots to give you some. Radish seed is easy to collect in the same way as corriander,

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Of course, the other thing is to grow perennials, like daylilies, that are not always obviously veg. The Plants for a Future website has loads of info.

Here's the link
http://www.pfaf.org/index.php
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

lovelygreenleaves wrote:Could anyone tell me what I can grow that I can easily save seeds/ cuttings from? and how do I save seeds?? I imagine some must be easier than others :flower:
Anything!! :cheers: :flower:

I just attended a seed-saving workshop today. The basic rule of thumb is that, if it grows from seeds, you can save them yourself. Some things, like garlic, don't grow true from seeds, so you have to plant bulbs or cuttings. Hybrids either won't grow from seed at all or else won't produce true offspring. Anything else is fair game.

A lot of veggies are biennials, meaning that they will not produce seed until their second year. To save seeds from these, you have to over-winter them. If you live in a climate where the plants can survive a winter, that is easy to do. In a colder climate, you might have to transplant them indoors for the winter and then set them out again for their second year.

grahamhobbs

All the experts say you can't really save brassica seeds, because they are too promiscuous, your cabbage and brussels will get all mixed up. Is it true, has anyone tried? What do you need to do to prevent it?