Fall Prevention for Older People - The 'ish Guide.

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Cligereen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Fall Prevention for Older People - The 'ish Guide.

Hi Folks,

This isn't exactly about lotions and potions, it's a post about Fall Prevention for Older People. I've done a lot of work on this very serious problem and I thought I'd share it with you in case you'd find it useful.

I devised a programme known as FRASE that is used in hospitals and nursing homes world-wide to reduce falls in older people. I've now completed a DIY 'Survival Guide' for people living in the community and for their carers (and I'm looking for a publisher!) :study: Meanwhile, I've put up a series of five blogs that explain the basics.

So if you have a problem, or you think that you might in the future, have a look. The link to the blogs is below. I hope somebody will find it useful. :thumbright:

http://hubpages.com/_3mxsltjcamvqv/hub/ ... ide-Part-1

Stay Safe!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Check me out on
http://hubpages.com/_3mxsltjcamvqv/hub/ ... een-Living
My website www.fallstoppers.com

old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Re: Fall Prevention for Older People - The 'ish Guide.

Hi there i had a scan through your pages and found them quite usefull, my wife suffers from dibilitating arthiritus and its one of our worries if she takes a tumble if i'm not around, we have moved to a bungalow and i am in the process of arranging the garden with raised beds so that we can sit and garden in comfort and safety, we will be looking forward with interest to any ideas, thanks
Russ :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Cligereen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Fall Prevention for Older People - The 'ish Guide.

Hi OTM,

I know from personal experience how much of a worry it can be if you have to leave somebody that you know is at risk for falling. At the same time, nobody wants to be constantly under the gaze of somebody else! We all need a bit of personal space. There are certain types of alarm that I'm sure you are aware of, trouble is, they don't always work if they are used outside the house. What I suggest is that your wife carries a mobile phone (fully charged of course!) when she is out and about. That way she can call for help if required. I know that a lot of people don't like mobile phones because they don't want to be at everybody's beck and call - so just keep the number private between yourselves.

As for the garden, the raised bed idea is good. If your wife plans on sitting on the edge of the bed, then sleepers are ideal. You should aim for them to be at knee height for your wife. That way she can get up from them easily. Consider lighting in the garden... or to be more 'ish, paint any kerbs, steps etc with a white strip along their edge. That way they are easily seen in poor light. Cement in any bits of paving that stand proud of their neighbour, especially crazy paving if you have it - that reduces the trip hazards. Obviously watch out for ice and obstacles that may have been blown into unexpected places by the wind.

Most important of all of the above is the mobile phone.

Good luck with your raised bed project and if I can help give me a shout.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Check me out on
http://hubpages.com/_3mxsltjcamvqv/hub/ ... een-Living
My website www.fallstoppers.com