Kitchen Gadgets

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Kitchen Gadgets

Having just received 2 new ones today, and being a lover of kitchen gadgets, I was wondering what you all had in your kitchens and how much use you've found them to be.
So to start wth:
Apple peeler/corer/slicer- this came today and has already been put to good use on apples and potatoes!
Stick blender (arrived today) Industrial strength metal this time as I killed my last one. Great for blending soups while in the slow cooker - much safer than putting hot soup into a jug blender (and there are 2 more gadgets!)
Slow cooker - I have two!
Jug blender - magic bullet type - great for banana and honey smoothies
1960's model Kenwood chef - great for anything to do with baking and making mayonnaise
Microwave rice cooker and pasta cooker - great because I always end up with it boiling over!
George Foreman Grill - the big one with the flat plate thing on the side - grease free fry ups and toasties
Veg steamer -not used as often as I should
Pressure cooker - great for making soups and stews when there's not time for th slowcooker
Fruit Press - hence the 1st gadget!
Waffle maker - Yes I really do use it!
Quesidilla (sp?) maker - for fancy toasties - great for using up the small amount of left over chilli!
Pancake maker - :? not mine! OH's! :roll:
Potato ricer - why??? Far too messy!

So what do you have in your kichen cupboards - either gathering dust or can't live without?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

NaturalBlue
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 51 36 13
longitude: 1 50 10

Re: Kitchen Gadgets

I like this one :iconbiggrin:

I have a kitchen full of stuff - I have....
I whole draw full of knives and peelers and juicers and other odd things my favourites being a Crinkle slicing knife, a corkscrew cutter and a pastry knife thant i mostly use on banana's and eggs!!
I have the standard microwave - but don't really know how to use it...
I have a slow cooker and, yes I have a waffle maker too (my children love them!)
I have a funny roasting dish that has a kind of basket inside (everything sticks to it but I'm sure i'll figure it out one day)
I have a big syringe type press for making cookies that has may different shape molds
I have a fruit press - recently aquired and hard work!
A milk frother (nope I don't know either - it was a gift)
I have a 5ltr KitchenAid Mixer which I love whole heartedly
But also a stick blender and a food processor - that has many whizzy attachments
A bazzilion (the official number!) cookie cutters
Cake tins that include: a cow and a moon, a teddy bear, a dinosour and a christmas tree - oh, and a fairy castle kit
A sanwich press
A Dualit toaster - no home should be without one :iconbiggrin:
A cake stand which doubles as a cheese board
and a tea press

Is that enough? - I'm sure there's more... and I thought I didn't have much :iconbiggrin:
xx
...um, how can I make that?...

pelmetman

We've bought quite a few gadgets over the years, some we use, some we dont and some well we've given away and I think a lot I've forgotten all about.

A really old Kenwood Chef (my parents originally had it when they had a B&B back in the 70's) and I love it.
A stick blender
Food Processor
A juicer
Don't know if microwave is classed as gadget - have one but hardly ever use it.
An electric steamer (went mad on at first then decided to go back to good old saucepans) Also have an old metal steamer (non electric)
Pressure cooker (use more as a large pan than actually pressure cooking)
Toaster - do use a lot
Yogurt Maker - did use a lot until it started overheating so went back to making yogurt without it.
As for potato peelers, apple corers, cherry stoners etc etc I have to admit we've got two drawers stuffed full of these small type gadgets :oops:
Only use the electric kettle in summer as use kettles on log burner in winter.
Did have a bread maker which I sold as I went back to making by hand.
Got rid of one of those old toastie thingies

God I could go on and on but I feel rather embarrassed now looking at all the plastic things we've bought over the years and hardly used :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

citizentwiglet

Oooh, I'm not much of a one for gadgetry, most of my kitchen gadgets have been well-meaning presents - our kitchen is tiny, so workspace is at a premium and many of my gadgets often find themselves promptly rehomed, like the George Foreman grill, the talking toastie machine and the hugely expensive expresso maker my sister bought me one Christmas that took up half the kitchen.

We did have an ancient Moulinex blender which I blew up; got another blender from Freecycle and travelled so far into the Trossachs to pick it up it would probably have been cheaper to get a new one.

OH bought me one of those electric steamers, after my pan-top bamboo one fell apart - I've never been able to do a thing with it, I can't get my head around the timings so it barely sees the outside of the cupboard.

My fave gadget is definitely my breadmachine. It was one of those 'once a year' expenses, and I use it practically every day.

Not strictly a 'kitchen' gadget, but I still use my grandmother's iron, which she bought in 1953. And no, I don't have to put it in the fire....
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Jane loves gadgets, she found a pie making machine for £4 in a charity shop, but her favourite is the masterchef.
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Milims

old tree man wrote: her favourite is the masterchef.
Doesn't she find he gets inthe way? :lol:

I just remembered - BREADMAKER! How could I forget!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

I love kitchen gadgets but hate clutter so they are minimised. The most useful by far is the stick blender which also has a mini food-processor attachment which I use to finely chop things like chillies, ginger and garlic to make curry pastes.
My dad bought the OH a George Foreman so he could cook meat without offending me as a herbivore who doesn't like grease in the oven.

My very favourite thing in the kitchen is not a gadget but a proper old ceramic mixing bowl that belonged to my grandmother. It weighs a tonne, I have no idea how she lifted it, but she made the best cakes in the world and I always think of her when I use it as well as hoping that some of her baking magic might rub off!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Oh dear, yes I am a gadget girl. In my kitchen (oh and the laundry room as they overflow) I have:

Breadmaker - fav item
Apple peeler, corer, slicer, had for years and gets used every year
Stick blender (plus a spare that I won and keep in its box just in case the other one breaks)
Moulinex food processer with blender given to me by a wonderful friend
Pasta machine, used about twice a year but worth it when I can be bothered
Food mixer, not sure of the brand but bought cos it looked good.
Dualit toaster, cos every home should have one
Two microwaves, one has a grill in it, the other is an oven as well. Although one was left behind by a former lodger so I just kept it.
Range cooker
Stainless steel kettle bought cos it looked good
Espresso machine, even though I don't drink coffee
Dehydrater that makes the most wonderful dried plums (far too good to call them prunes)
Jamie Oliver shaker-maker thing, works ok but is a pain to clean out.
Electric frying pan, can be used as a slow cooker, old as me, my mother gave me when I didn't have a kitchen
Pressure cooker with no weight, used as a big saucepan
Citrus press, bought cos it looked good (seems to be a theme going on here) but does work.
Various knives, peelers etc but the best one is a zester.
Mandolin slicer - very useful for large batches
Different type of slicer made by JML, useless.
Herb chopper, very useful

Zoe

battybird

My favourite is the stick blender..no attachments just a really basic one. May upgrade one day as I would like one with a detachable stick. My best one is in our barn in portugal!
Breadmaker
Expresso machine (OH..I HATE coffee)
Juicer..used lots initially but rarely now! Hate washing it!
Microwave..ancient but well used
Toaster
George foreman grill..always out used frequently especially at moment for tomatoes and sliced courgettes!! and for toasties, wraps
a metal forklike gizmo for rubbing in scones etc..hate fingers getting all gummed up then phone / doorbell rings!!
Ikea herb/onion/garlic chopper
various peelers, corers in cutlery drawer with corn skewers.
I did have a pie maker unused for about 10 yrs which went with my son back to Thailand where he now cooks all the expats cornish "pies" and lots of variations ..he is popular out there where there are few ovens, just a gas ring and wok!
Oh and I just found a popcorn maker unused since the boys left home...cheap and sugarfree/lowfat snacks!!
Amazing what a lot of "stuff" I have amassed which I dont use!!
Thanks Milims...I am now off to freecycle lots of things!! :cheers:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon