Psoriasis of the scalp

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Psoriasis of the scalp

Does anyone have any good remedies for psoriasis of the scalp? - I've suffered for a few years now. It's not seasonal, it happens all year round. I've tried almond oil in the past to no avail - only coal tar shampoo seems to work but not entirely, seawater seems to do it some good - but I live in cold old England, and not near the sea :(. The flakes drive me insane. Any tips would be gratefully received.
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

greenorelse
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Re: Psoriasis of the scalp

Try vinegar in a spray with tea tree oil, massaged into the scalp after washing your hair. It'll sting on any broken skin though. Don't let it run into your eyes. Rinse it out after a good massage and let your hair dry naturally.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Heard somewhere that tea tree oil can irrate the skin - but either thats true or not I am not sure.

Hemp Oil can help in a big way. I have contact dermtities on my arms for years (industrial accident at work etc..) and which lead to me having breakouts if I come into contact with anything that has SLS in their products.. So I was recommanded Hemp oil treatment. - It works :) (for me it does). Plain old simple Hemp oil as found in the supermarket shelves in the oil section. SMooth it on the skin so it absorbs (rub it in) give it a go.

If your getting issues of your scalp are you using products (shampoo) that has SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) in it - if so, do a trial period without any products that has SLS in it :)

http://www.natural-health-information-c ... lfate.html

Mick - SLS free for 12 months now... and skin is alot better

contadina

I occasionally get a really dry scalp and rinsing my hair with cider vinegar and nettles seems to clear it up instantly. Pick some nettles and boil them in the vinegar (and some rosemary, as it smells nice). Strain and use (make sure you massage it into your scalp) and keep the leftovers in the fridge for next time. You can feel it tingle (not sting) your scalp as you massage it in and then dry as normal.

boboff

Head and shoulders works for me, Brilliant stuff, trouble is I do often forget to shampoo my eyebrows, which can lead to major flake fall out.

There is another product, which I have used when really bad, caused by stress and tiredness, its in a little white bottle and about £8 a go, can't think of the name, but those nasty bourgoius shops sell it. "N" something I think.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

prison break fan

Not quite the same thing I know, but I have blepharitis, which is itchy flaky eyelids, drive me mad sometimes. I have recently discovered that bathing them with witch hazel really helps with the itching. Worth a try! pbf.

Millymollymandy

Oh I didn't know there was another name. My mother has psoriasis in the corner of her eyes, her ears and in her scalp. Her's in her scalp is horrible and all cracked and red and raw looking. She refuses to get help though. :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

skiesabove
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 65.84731
longitude: 22.67157

Only using conditioner (a light one for washing, a heavy one for conditioning) has helped me (they have to be silicone free etc). I use a shampoo without sls occasionally. I really like Faith in Nature Hemp conditioner, it is almost only plant extraxts =), and lots of good stuff for anti-itch like hemp, ginger, tea tree.

Using eggs for shampoo can help, but it is too good of a cleaner for my hair (which is dry).

Millymollymandy

Thanks pbf you've given me reason to google and now I now that my unknown condition that I have occasionally is 'anterior blepharitis' - but without itchiness which is a good thing! Just couldn't understand why I'd got scabby/dandruffy like flecks at the base of my eyelashes which only started about 5 years ago. It's not that bad but every now and again I have to have a good pick (yeah I know :pukeright: ) which then results in losing a lot of eyelashes, and I used to have really nice thick curved ones. :( Oh well just as well I rarely wear make up!

I'm often rub my eyes too which are often itchy, sore or burning, but that's something I've suffered from all my life including bloodshot eyes occasionally.

Must go and read more on the subject.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

boboff

Ah it's like Angela's Ashes all over again!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

citizentwiglet

When I suffered from it, I found the Coal Tar seemed to make it worse in the long run. I went along to my local Neal's Yard and they made me up a bottle of stuff which worked brilliantly (and smelt considerably nicer!). I do remember that there was bergamot in it, but I couldn't honestly tell you what else. It's definitely worth asking in one if you have one nearby.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

greenorelse

eco-mick wrote:Heard somewhere that tea tree oil can irrate the skin - but either thats true or not I am not sure.
Could do; my mixture is a tiny bottle of tea tree mixed with 500ml of vinegar, so it's fairly weak.
eco-mick wrote:Hemp Oil can help in a big way.
That might be a better bet.

Also, soya might be a cause of some skin problems. There's no harm done if it's excluded from a diet and it might work!
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks so much for these remedies I really appreciate all of the tips, and will definitely be trying as many as I need to.

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Can't thank enough, I have eliminated most of it through a process of a mixture of the ideas given here, thanks so much!

greenorelse

Well done. You must condense your recommendations down to a post for us some time, cocobelle.