Eco kettle

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Honeybabe
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Eco kettle

I bought an eco kettle recently. You push a button for the amount of water to be boiled. That way I don't have to battle with OH about boiling the full kettle for one cup of tea.
And he has agreed to use it, except it really smells of plastic. I've tried washing it with vinegar but it still smells fo plastic. And it makes tea smell of plastic, so now no one will use it. :cry:

How can I get rid of the plastic smell?

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

yuck - that's awful.....

Interested to learn how... as my other half picked up some ice lolly moulds the other day and they smell strongly of plastic... I don't want to use them :shock:

How many times have you boiled it?? Some manufacturers say to boil it full a couple of times to get rid of the smell...
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

This begs the question - what is the plastic outgasing that you can smell? Is it plasticisers, unreacted monomer or other additive. I would be very concerned about putting these things in contact with stuff that goes inside me. Good luck, maybe leave them in the sun for a couple of weeks until the smell subsides.......

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Shirley

Wombat wrote:This begs the question - what is the plastic outgasing that you can smell? Is it plasticisers, unreacted monomer or other additive. I would be very concerned about putting these things in contact with stuff that goes inside me. Good luck, maybe leave them in the sun for a couple of weeks until the smell subsides.......

Nev
Nev...will try leaving them in the sun to see if that helps... IF WE GET ANY THAT IS!!!!!! Rain everywhere... shame we can't pipe the stuff down the drought affected areas and harness some hydro power along the way.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Honeybabe
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Shirlz2005 wrote:How many times have you boiled it?? Some manufacturers say to boil it full a couple of times to get rid of the smell...
I've boiled it loads of times. You can't taste it in coffee so didnt' really notice for a few days. It makes tea taste vile!!!!

Is bicarb a deodoriser? I might try that next. And putting out in the sun.

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes, Bicarb of soda is usually recommended as a deodoriser for flasks, fridges etc, so that would be the first thing I'd try.

Let us know how it works on plasticky smells.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

I'd be interested in how this kettle works. How does it measure the required amount of water? Does it have two compartments, only allowing the selected volume of water into the boiling chamber, storing it in another one until you need it? I can't really visualise it, but developing this thought further, is it quite a complicated thing, with valves and things? I'm wondering if it is actually plastic that is tainting the water, or whether there is any metal, or rubber of some type.

Whatever the cause, it does seem like an unacceptable design fault. Does the manufacturer or supplier have a web site with contact details on it?

Also, is it definitely the kettle? I sometimes notice the milk has a slightly plasticky smell to it from the screwtop container it comes in, though it hasn't affected my tea-drinking pleasure yet.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Shirley

http://www.ecokettle.com/AFTERSALES.htm

I still think it's easier to just measure a cup of water and bung it in and boil it :mrgreen:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

ina

Shirlz2005 wrote: I still think it's easier to just measure a cup of water and bung it in and boil it :mrgreen:
Theoretically - yes. However...

I bought this great new kettle for the office. It whistles to let everybody know it's done. It's got a clear bit at the side to show how much water is in it, with an indication as to what's the minimum you need to have in to prevent it blowing up. The clear bit is also illuminated when it's on, so that even folk with bad eyesight can see what's happening. PLUS: I stuck a great big sticker on it with a great big arrow pointing to the minimum level, with the legend:

THIS IS ENOUGH FOR TWO CUPS

Result?

Either folk who are clearly only making one cup of coffee for themselves fill it up to the top - or, they just fill it to half the minimum level... :roll: :roll: :roll:

ARGHHHHH!
Last edited by ina on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Shirley

ROFLMAO - do you think the eco kettle would help or not...? methinks not... in such a case.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Ya see, Ina, although we have these days been corrupted into slinging a teabag into a mug of hot water and calling it 'tea', we have actually still got the vestigies of a cultural memeory of How To Do It Properly.

This involved a huge kettle that was permanently on the simmer. If it whistled when it was boiling, the correct note was F#. After twenty minutes of vigorous boiling, those assembled would start to chant 'Pot to kettle, not kettle to pot; pot to kettle not kettle to pot..." and the ritual of warming the pot, and counting the spoonfuls of loose tea would begin. Also involved would be amusing tea cosies, ornate pot stands, and often a teapot that would ensure half the tea missed the cup completely.

Of course in these planet-conscious times, it seems we may eventually have to give up such comforts forever.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Shirley

Muddypause wrote:Of course in these planet-conscious times, it seems we may eventually have to give up such comforts forever.
WOT NO TEA????????????????????????

Have to say that we are spoilt at Ina's - she makes a fab pot of tea and it's kept warm on this special little warmer with a candle underneath (what's it called again Ina??) and we all sit around the table.. It's Brill!!
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

ina

Shirlz2005 wrote:(what's it called again Ina??)
Stövchen! :mrgreen:

edited to say - found a few on e-bay http://wohnen.search.ebay.de/stoevchen_ ... acatZ54128 (yes, Germany of course :roll: )

But I admit it was only teabags... Next time I'll use "proper" tea - I've got that, too, somewhere!

And Stew - the correct note F# - mhhh, I'll have to take my recorder in and see if I can check that...

The problem with that kettle in the office is that it's used by scientists. What do you expect! :shock:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

I make tea with loose tea, no teabags in my house. I cut down the amount of tea I drink (& my permantly dry & scratchy throat cleared up), so the cup a day I have is very good quality: organic & fair trade. I savour every mouthful.

I've always used leaf tea, cos that's what I grew up with. But my Mum has now switched to teabags :roll:

A problem I've found with all measurements on kettles is that they're measured in cups. I drink from a mug. It takes practice to know the right levels for 2 mugs etc, but I've got there. Kettle will probably blow up now I've said that though...

Shirley

ina wrote:
Stövchen! :mrgreen:

edited to say - found a few on e-bay http://wohnen.search.ebay.de/stoevchen_ ... acatZ54128 (yes, Germany of course :roll: )
WOW Ina... look at the huge selection. I could start collecting them hehehe
Last edited by Shirley on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr