Galvanised mesh/fencing

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

Galvanised mesh/fencing

I fenced in my chicken compound around 3 years ago with galvanised fencing mesh stuff. nearly all of it is now rusted through. The only style of fencing that hasn't rusted is the expensive welded mesh stuff.

Is it possible to get rustproof hexagonal mesh fencing or is it all crap? if so where?

I did try complaining to B+Q but they weren't interested... its gotta be rusty in the shop before they'll do anything.

btw I bought some more today for my fruit cage.... 10 metres it said.... more like 9. but how do you complain after you've half-installed it?

oldjerry

Re: Galvanised mesh/fencing

We've been here before...........Nearly all this stuff comes from China now,and the quality is abysmal .I really dont know if anyone still manufactures it in the UK anymore,but have a play with google and if you find anything,let us know!

The Riff-Raff Element

oldjerry wrote:We've been here before...........Nearly all this stuff comes from China now,and the quality is abysmal .I really dont know if anyone still manufactures it in the UK anymore,but have a play with google and if you find anything,let us know!
Unhappily so. The plastic covered stuff is marginally better, but the galvanised mash available these days is hopeless.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I'll second that (or third), if you live by the sea it lasts barely a year before some sections rust through.
I have resorted to plastic mesh in some areas, a lot more expensive but lasts forever, although is easily bitten through ... as in next door's dog chewing it's way through to eat the chicken food. :(
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

boboff

We have a number of Farmers places around here, perhaps you should try them, as a farmer isn't going to put up with stuff rusting away. That is where I have bought mine in the past, and I haven't seen any go rusty at all? (In fact some is all tied up in a pile with weed and I wish it would rust away!)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I bought mine from an agricultural supplier, Countrywide. It's lasted pretty well.

Another option, for a sturdier solution, is to see if your local builders hire shop has any Harris fencing going. It's the stuff they put around building sites, is far more solid than traditional chicken wire, and often gets returned to them bent and damaged so they can't re-use it. Alternatively, scavenge around reclamation yards for sturdy mesh panes, similar to Harris fencing, that is used in warehouses etc as security grills. This is what my chicken run is made from and it's brilliant. The holes are too big but I've covered it with netting which stops the girls poking their heads through.

Zoe

oldjerry

The Harris fencing is a REALLY good idea.I've never been able to get enough through old sites\scrap etc even though I've a good mate who's a scaffolder.With a line of electric wire about 4'' high and a foot from the fence,that's about as fox-proof as you're going to get.