Kids in another country?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Kids in another country?

Hi all,I have 3 kids (two daughters and a son)all in their 20's.The two girls live in the UK(although they're aussies)and my son(Who I had adopted out at birth and we've since met and have a great relationship)lives in Australia.So do any of you have kids in other countries?I really miss my son.We do speak on Skype a fair bit but sooooo annoying when the audio keeps breaking up and the picture freezes!Its not quite the same as talking face to face.So if so,did your kids move away or did you?How did you feel about it?

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Kids in another country?

My mother-in-law moved to Australia and it's..............great!!!!!!!! :lol:

My wife is missing her though and i know what you mean about skye

happyhippy

Hi Dustydave,had abit of a giggle about the MIL?lol So which part of Australia did she move to?I noticed you're from Bath.Small world,I live 7 miles from Bath!Yes I can understand how your wife feels.My Mum (and siblings/son)all live in Australia.

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

My son's in the US. He's married an American girl and has been out there about 5 years now. We don't have much contact. I've been out there twice and they've also been over here twice. I can't use skype as only have mobile dongle which won't run it. He doesn't seem to worry anyway, when I email I'm lucky to get more than 2 words in reply :mrgreen:
I don't mind greatly - although in a sense I do miss him, but if he's happy then that's fine by me.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

that_sarah_girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

My stepkids' mum wants to move them out to her parent's house in France with her and her new husband after the summer holidays for a year.
We don't want them to go. L (aged 9) doesn't want to go as she would rather stay with me and her dad and hates her mum's husband, and A (age 7) kind of wants to go, only because he thinks it will be an extended holiday and he doesn't want to leave their dog.

This has happened before...long story short...we agreed that they could go live with their grandparents for a year as it might be a good experience, only they ended up coming back to England after 3 months.

The 3 months they were away was really tough, Skype is brill but not the same. We went out to visit for a week or so to visit but it was tough physically (driving from NW England, ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, then driving to the French/Swiss boarder with a 2 year old in tow wasn't easy!) and mentally (seeing them was great, but leaving them again was torture).

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I first went abroad when i was 21 after uni. I'v been moving about between Scotland, Greece and macedonia since. Now I'm married and have 2 kids with my Macedonian husband and we moved back to Macedonia permanently in Febuary this year.

I speek to my family on skype and facebook, and just now my cousin and her boyfriend are staying with us for a month, then my parents are comming for 2 weeks in August, then my other cousin is coming for a week in September. My other aunts and uncles are planning on comming over next year. Most of my family made it over for our wedding too. And we've gone over for Christmas once so far, and when i was pregnant to have both our kids in the UK.

The thing i find hardest is taking the kids away from my family. Especially my grandparents who are too old and frail to come over here and i suspect will probably die before we go back to the UK. That sadens me most.

But i speak with my mum almost daily online giving her regular updates on what we're doing.
The sound on the lap top is all messed up though, so they cant hear us and we can only hear crackiling which is really annoying, need to get it fixed as soon as we get some spare time!

My mum is really happy for us though. She agrees we have a better life here than in the UK. Here we've got our own house, plus other inherited properties which we rent out and take the money for, meaning we can cover the bills and just have to grow our own food for ourselves from our land and not need to get any other full time job, meaning we can spend more time together as a family.
It 's also much safer here to bring up kids, there is almost no violent crime, paradise really compard with Glasgow Stab Capital of Europe! :lol:
Supposedly we are in the sunniest region in Europe with 300 days of sunshine a year, meaning lots of time spent outdoors with the kids instead of trapped inside listening to the terential rain!

I like it here, its a beautiful town surrounded my dramatic mountains in the sunshine :flower:
The people are lovely, we have lots of friends, local and forrigne, and family around us.
And i just think we have an overall better quality of life here. And my mum has a grate excuse to go on holiday every year! :lol:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Stonehead

happyhippy wrote:Hi all,I have 3 kids (two daughters and a son)all in their 20's.The two girls live in the UK(although they're aussies)and my son(Who I had adopted out at birth and we've since met and have a great relationship)lives in Australia.So do any of you have kids in other countries?I really miss my son.We do speak on Skype a fair bit but sooooo annoying when the audio keeps breaking up and the picture freezes!Its not quite the same as talking face to face.So if so,did your kids move away or did you?How did you feel about it?
I’m an Aussie living in Scotland. All my immediate family are scattered around Australia (four states), while the wider network of cousins, nieces, nephews etc are scattered around the world (a dozen or more countries). I like the peace and quiet the distance brings—none of them are in the UK or even in Europe. Some of them have loose contact with me via Facebook, but quite a few have unfriended me over the years because they disapprove of “my lifestyle choices”. Silly buggers.

happyhippy

Stonehead,I know what you mean!I've been practically ousted out of my family for moving over here.My twin is'nt speaking to me because I decided not to attend her sons wedding(Adelaide).I had only been over to Adelaide late last year,so its not like they havent seen me for years.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Mum's got me in another country :)

We talk on Skype...when she can be bothered/remembers to log in. Other than that, all important news is sent by email.

It's interesting for the child how the relationship changes. I find that my mum seems to be more worried about me when I'm in the UK than she is when i'm here. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.