Lincolnshire Scad

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Lincolnshire Scad

We bought a 'rare and elusive' Lincolnshire Scad from Mr D'Arcy at http://www.facebook.com/FestivalOfApplesLouth hope it fruits a bit sooner than the quince!

"A prolific, yellow and pink, very late, small, wild plum which is ready in October and last till November most years. It can be eaten fresh when fully ripened on the bush and for all cooking purposes, jams and wine before then.

Now only found in a few old gardens or as forgotten plants in old hedgerows, the Lincolnshire Scad is well worth bringing back from the brink and re-establishing as a valuable Lincolnshire fruit from the past."
Attachments
scad.jpg
scad.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Lincolnshire Scad

That's a lovely looking plum, well done for getting a heritage variety.

I'm having a giggle googlng it, only D'Arcy appears to be propogating from known cultivar stock - but there are an awful lot of public sightings of the scad in the wild that appear to be reports of pretty much any wild plum in a hedge!
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lincolnshire Scad

Oh I'm glad you brought that up George, I felt sure this was exactly like some plums I used to pick on a housing estate in Berkshire, where the plums had been planted as part of the hedging landscaping and had grown into trees, they too were quite late producing loads of plums into late October