It's all our fault

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's all our fault

Just read in the Daily Mail online (so it must be true) that allotment gardeners and grow your own veg types are completely to blame for the outbreak of late blight. The potato council are placing the blame on amateur gardeners who don't know what they are doing and don't deal with blight early enough and that commercial crops are suffering the consequences. They say we should stop growing potatoes and buy safe, properly grown potatoes from retailers. I don't fully understand how blight travels around, but my neighbour who lives a mile across from me had devastating blight, whereas my spuds did not succumb to blight for at least another 6 weeks, but the wind regularly blows from his place down to mine. How long will it be before we are outlawed from growing our own spuds by the potato police, dawn raids and loads of coppers taking plastic bags of confiscated contraband potatoes from covert spud growing criminals.

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: It's all our fault

It was in the Torygraph too. Bloody arrogant.

oldjerry

That's,quite simply,unequivocally,24 carat , complete Bollocks........Sorry,feel free to edit\delete,these people really rattle my cage.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is this stage one to outlaw citizens from growing and sharing their own produce, seems there is a bill afoot in the USA to make it illegal to grow and share and only agri business can control the growing and distribution of food

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

diggernotdreamer wrote:Is this stage one to outlaw citizens from growing and sharing their own produce, seems there is a bill afoot in the USA to make it illegal to grow and share and only agri business can control the growing and distribution of food
I can't find a ref to that anywhere, do you have a link?
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Senate Bill S510 - link - now dead, but interesting that anyone thought it worthwhile to try and pass it.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

Thanks for the link, yes it is a bit wierd that anybody could think of things like this. It makes you wonder what the heck is going on< what is the plan!!!
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

I agree with Oldjerry. Total bollocks and they just are looking for someones to shake a finger at.
Strange no one is speaking about the ones that grow foods for a living huh? No its the allotment gardeners....come on, use your brains, people.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ooooops look like we went and did it again. Now us back yard poultry keepers are in the frame for having the potential to contaminate commercial flocks with all the nasty diseases our chickens have. So when Bernard Matthews brought in hens with avian flu which could have spelled disaster for everyone with poultry, that was ok then?? (plus the millions in compo he claimed for the privilege)

Oh and not to mention the blue tongue debarkle where the animal health lab liberated it down the sink!!!!!

Looks like big agri business is really rattled by us ish types and our home grown vegetables and free range eggs and chicken. I smell some move afoot to outlaw micro food production :angryfire:

boboff

It was some bloody Hippy Smoking weed brought in Ash Die back as well, some Immigrant brought in all that rain, coming here with there strong work ethic making us all look bad, did you know allotments give you cancer, and binge drinking is a direct result of eating home grown parsnips.......
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/