Thinking of recycling a house?

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Boots
A selfsufficientish Regular

Thinking of recycling a house?

This article was originally published in 1972. The advice for folks looking to relocate an old existing home, still holds true today and is also useful for folks looking to buy their first dream home and apply a little hard yakka.

Things to look for when considering relocating a house.
Last edited by Boots on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Stonehead

We've tried to get people to consider recycling a cottage on our place (it's built of stone so can't be shifted). It's currently uninhabitable but is weathertight.

We can't sell it off as it's attached to the rest of the buildings and we'd have to take out a chunk of land to go with it. The cottage could have two bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom and sitting room, plus a lean-to sunporch.

We first offered it to relatives - they could renovate it and then live there. No go - not big enough (even for two), not convenient, too old, etc.

Next we tried eco-friendly friends and then mentioned the idea further afield, particularly to people who said they couldn't afford a smallholding of their own or who were looking for an alternative lifestyle to the consumer culture.

We suggested people could do the place up and in return live there for a period of time at least equal to the work and money they'd spent (so if you put in the equivalent of £40,000 and rent was a nominal £400 a month, then you live there for 400 months rent free).

People could also share the use of the land with us - so veg, fruit, animals etc.

Boy, that was a big mistake. We were vilified, accused of exploiting people, of trying to get something for nothing and more. People said they wouldn't put the work in unless they owned the place outright. (This was across a wide array of people and social networks, websites, eco magazines etc.)

Interestingly, the very elderly are the only ones who seem to see any merit in the idea as it's how things use to be done. Our croft used to support four families - one family who owned the place and the others who stayed in the cottage and two bothies in return for a mix of labour on the croft, rent and ongoing maintenance of the buildings they lived in.

So we don't bother anymore. The cottage is now used as a storeroom and chicken brooder, while people continue to complain about not being to able to have a smallholding, complain about there being no alternative options to conventional mortgages and housing, complain about how people who own land (like us) deny it to people who don't, and on, and on.

We tried to share something that we have and don't make full use of, but were slapped in the face (repeatedly) for making the offer. So now, we just keep it for ourselves and switch-off mentally when people start talking about finding alternative solutions to housing ownership and use.

Shirley

I can't believe the attitude of some people...

We'd have done it!! Don't people pay rent normally then?? Surely it's an equivalent of paying rent but in a much more proactive way.

I think it's a fab idea Stoney... especially with the added advantage of sharing the land. I think people are often too quick to say no and don't put enough thought into things.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Stonehead

As there's plenty of space for a large caravan, we thought it would be quite convenient to be able to stay here and do the cottage up.

Our main stipulations would have been that people combine sympathy for the age and style of the building with eco-friendly design. So keep as much of the look and feel of a traditional crofting cottage with renewable heating and cooking (Rayburn or other alternatives), solar hot water, a share in a wind turbine (if we could get the council to agree!), possibly PV, good insulation and so on.

We also suggested that as well as the upfront cost/effort of converting the place, people could extend the time they stayed by helping around the croft, maintaining the cottage, paying rent, etc.

If people were unwilling (having to work away in "real" jobs) or unable to do work (say, due to age or disability), we could still supply them with veg, meat etc in return for a cash or kind contribution to the work. Basically, pay us in one way or another and get a return in food (eg have a share in the boar, or some sheep, or the poultry etc).

We spent about two years on this before giving up in disgust.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

if i had the cash to renovate it, i'd be up there like a shot!!
And i would give me a good reason to buy the tipi!

I think its the other way round - there are far too many people who want somethng for free. They don't see that by putting in the work and capital, they're gaining, they see it as putting in work and capital. There are too many people unwilling to do this.

Boots

Hi Stoney,
The difficulty in long term share situations is that they tend to be an investment for all parties involved, and like all investments they carry a bit of risk.

You and your family would be risking your peace of mind to some degree, your money, home etc and the opportunist would be risking his/her energy, time, and money too.

Maybe you would have more luck if you advertised 6 months or 12 month stints? Asking folks to put in a long term investment can be kind of scary when they know that ultimately you can pull rank at any time - if, and when you do, they enevitably lose. They can't take their contributions with them. The bigger the degree of risk (= bigger trust) in any investment, the less likely folks are to take the plunge.

Short term also gives you a chance to check them out too. They might be great workers and highly skilled, but if they are rude to your kids, hit on your wife or handle your animals in a way you don't want them handled, then you may never actually know that, until you live with them. They think their way is fine, and it is - for them, on their land.

My brother came to live with me as an adult. What a lazy bugger he turned out to be! Absolute couch potato... when he wasn't gadding about playing at extreme sports and buying expensive sports label clothes... that made him look heaps active, he was lounging about in the pool or on the couch. There is nothing more annoying than someone just watching me work... a lack of initiative bugs the heck out of me.

Also lived with one of my dearest mates for quite some time. He drove me nuts too. :mrgreen: I thought living with him would be a breeze as we both loved nature and had spent heaps of time roaming about in national parks, camping, travelling together and whatnot. Had known each other for yonks. Problem was when it came down to it - our ideas of gardening were poles apart... He kept trying to tidy up the jungle! AaaaaH! :shock: What do you mean it needed Pruning????

Nowdays I think it's all just a bit easier just keeping it simple and attempting to accomodate us. Well, as simple as it can be with kids, critters, breakdowns, erosion, weird neighbours, and whatever else life throws in the pot on any given day :mrgreen:
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Stonehead

We couldn't (and can't) do six or 12 month lets as we haven't the money to do the cottage up in the first place. We looked at legal protection for both sides. We've both shared accommodation with other people at various times (and wouldn't have been sharing like that anyway as it's a separate house from the main house). We are well aware of the risks and potential hassles. It was all thought through. And we did find a couple of examples where other people have done something similar. And, yes, we've heard those arguments umpteen times and that's why I nearly didn't post about it here.

Boots

I meant 6 or 12 months, and specific tasks in exchange for free rent.

I've had tradesmen stay for short stints and just do what they know (like specific jobs, plumbing, cupboards, or tiling) while enjoying the lifestyle, a break, or chance to live rent free for a bit, whatever it is. Also had a guy stay intermittently during the 3 months I was forming mud bricks and that was heaps good.

But you probably already know that.

Christina
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

cor, if I had they money............

I've got the trade, just not the pennies :roll:

I think it's a great idea, I think it's a case of too many people want someting for nothing nowadays :?

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is such an old thread but seeing as Christina stummbled over it first I thought I may as well put in my t'pence worth.

I think its a great idea, def. something I would have considered a few years ago. How about offering it as accomodation for a long holiday, they help you fix it up, they give your their labour and expertise, you give them a roof and an exchange of talents for a 6 week stint (say when you have a bit of a glut of food and you can spend more time working with your volunteers)

From the little I know about such things people can get excited about it if you offer it as a free working holiday. It is so different to the way most people lead their lives.

Would you ever consider offering it up again?

Maybe we should suggest Andy has a holiday / home exchange / property page. I have recently bought a cottage and when I get it going I would like to sell it on to a likemined person a step behind in the road to Selfsufficientish. I also think plenty of the members of this site who live in big cities would love to holiday where some of the rest of us are lucky enough to live.

Ann

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

how aboot something like wwwoofers?

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi
I have mixed experiences of this idea. I once had a house which was originally two houses knocked together. Each part being self contained. I managed to find a self employed couple who were delighted with the idea of doing the place up in exchange for cheap rent. I paid for all the materials though so there was no cash outlay for them. They still paid me rent but at a much lower price. It worked really well and we all got on fine. They had to have access to my house as the electricity and central heating was combined but they would feed the cats and so on when I was away.

They were recommended by mutual friends so that was how we knew we could trust each other.

I also know someone now who is renovating a cottage in exchange for reduced rent. Again, the landlord pays the cost of the major materials, so the tenant is just giving his time.

I even had a builder who was working in the area but lived about 20 miles away. He agreed to do the work cheaper if he could stay on site while he was doing it. If he hadn't lived in he would have spent a fortune in time and money on travelling and by living on site he could be there first thing when deliveries and other trades arrived.

On the other hand, when my ex was made redundant I suggested he should move in with me. He could rent his house out which would give him an income. Instead of paying me rent he could do work on my house. He was horrified at the thought that he would be putting a load of effort in without getting any stake in the house. No wonder he is my ex!

I would keep looking. I'm sure there will be someone out there who would be interested. Not everyone is like my ex who expected to get everything for free. If I could take the time off I would love to come up for a few weeks to learn a whole load of new skills in exchange for a free holiday.

Zoe