can you belive this easter eggs.

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

can you belive this easter eggs.

Jane and i were doing our rounds of the local charity shops, and we could'nt belive our eyes some of the shops were full of easter eggs and its still january, call old fashioned or just OLD, whatever happend to different seasonal dates, or lets go really wierd do people really know why we celebrate " christmas " what happened at "easter " what is the "solstice " and "harvest festival " just to name a few, but it seems to me that these seem like commercial dates to make money out of people,
don't get me wrong i am not a religous fanatic but someone who has his beliefs but think we have lost our way as a society,
when we were younger these were dates we got together as a community
to celebrate and make things together and share with one and another.
well sorry about the whinge, thats it i can calm down now going to relax by the fire with a strong cup of tea.
all the best

Russ :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Shirley

They were in the shops even BEFORE CHRISTMAS!! Amazing.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

eccentric_emma

yes i work in an off license and some of our easter stock arrived on christmas eve. couldnt believe it. surprisingly though, we're almost sold out of the stuff we'd got already.
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

red

hmm yeh like I seem doomed never to buy a winter coat as I only think of it in winter. stupid stupid me.. now the shops have sales to get ride of stuff and summer stuff coming in....

mind you i save money this way.. but could do with a decent coat...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Helsbells

I was really cross to see easter eggs in the shops just after Christmas, and when I went shopping I saw someone with some in a carrier bag. I think that shocked me even more. Its one thing for the eggs to be on the shelves, but I didnt actually think that people bought them so soon!!
All its about is eggs and chocolate!! Its supposed to be about new life...whether that be Jesus coming back to life, or the new life that comes with spring (chicks, flowers, lambs etc)
I find that society has totally lost any meaning in life, and celebrations and traditions. Its just commercial, no meaning at all.
Makes me very sad.

QuakerBear

Do you remember when we were kiddies and we'd look forward to an annual event? The count down before your birthday, chistmas, easter was exciting in itself. As an adult consumer I wonder if I'm responsible for having turned that eagerness and anticipation into a demand for instant satisfaction/gratification. Have the markets responded to consumer demand for 'something special' all year round or have consumers just been lazy and given into the temptations proffered by companies? Either way, if we exercised self control and didn't buy the eggs and other stuff it wouldn't be put on sale. So to conclude my mini-rant, if we wish to change what is in the world we have to play by the rules of market forces and change the behaviour of consumers, i.e. our friends and family, rather then asking large corporations to change or demanding legislation agianst them. I think I may have gone off the point here though...
QuakerBear

red

you are right.. the only way to stop them selling Christmas stuff in August and Easter stuff in December is not to buy it then. but I already don't. we just need to convince other people not to.

the worrying ting about the advance shop appearance is how long the shelf life of this stuff is! must be packed with preservatives.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

kiery
Tom Good
Tom Good

Easter eggs

I can't believe Easter Eggs are in the shops!!! Before Christmas as well!! :roll:
For most people, shopping has become a religion and it is getting out of hand. Maybe with the recession looming it might start to change. I agree that it is almost futile to try and change the corporations way of thinking. We have to get our friends and family to change, the consumers. So don't buy them.
I haven't bought Easter Eggs for about ten years, simply because I found them overpriced and with too much packaging - not enough chocolate.

I also have had a problem trying to get winter clothes in winter. Its crazy!

Millymollymandy

Oh bum - I've just looked and Easter is really early this year Sun 23 MARCH!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Easter just isn't Easter unless it is in April!

red

Millymollymandy wrote:Oh bum - I've just looked and Easter is really early this year Sun 23 MARCH!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Easter just isn't Easter unless it is in April!
yup - messes everything up.. dont spose i shall be planting my spuds on good Friday this year...
Red

etsy shop

blog

ina

Gosh - I might actually be off on Easter then! Usually I'm up to my armpits in lambing... But that doesn't start until early April for me. Well, except the little "accident" which will lamb in February... :wink:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Millymollymandy

Ha ha - that little accident across the road from me that I mentioned in November - is now quite big but I feel sorry for it as it doesn't have any mates to play with! :cry:

red

ina wrote:Gosh - I might actually be off on Easter then! Usually I'm up to my armpits in lambing... But that doesn't start until early April for me. Well, except the little "accident" which will lamb in February... :wink:
wish you lived closer Ina

Am begining to feel nervous about our first lambing... got tbe book, done the course, am booked to attended lambing next month, have the vets number and someone to call on.. but still....nervous
Red

etsy shop

blog

wulf

red wrote:you are right.. the only way to stop them selling Christmas stuff in August and Easter stuff in December is not to buy it then. but I already don't. we just need to convince other people not to.
Alternatively, we could work our way up to take over the top management posts of the supermarkets and change policy from there....

But, yes, the practical way to go is that skill that gets so much opportunity for exercise, ignoring the choices put out to tempt you and making your decision on what to buy when on other criteria.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Karen_D
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Shirlz wrote:They were in the shops even BEFORE CHRISTMAS!! Amazing.
I saw them here before New Year. I can't believe anyone would buy them that early if they buy them at all. :shock: