lambs - triplets even!

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

lambs - triplets even!

last night one of our ewes - Sharona, had a nice sized lamb, with some help, .. then surprised us by producing two more some hours later!
this is our first time.. and hers!

more pictures and a diddy video on the blog
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

2pig2sheep1cow
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

i bet you were pleased.
it's grate when you see animals giving birth, especially when you have to help them to do it.
:cooldude:

tim&fatima

Congratulations Red.

Fantastic news. many more to come I'm sure. :wink:
It's nice to be important,
But it's more important to be nice.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Superb :mrgreen: she looks a contented mum
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Millymollymandy

They're gorgeous! Well done all you newbies! :cheers:

glenniedragon

Can sheep cope with triplets or will you have to bottle feed one? excellent news, what a good girl she is!

ahh

kind thoughts
Deb

hamster

Ooh, how lovely. Well done. :mrgreen:
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

Mydreamlife
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Congratulations... are they boys or girls??
Behind every sucessful man is an fantastic woman!
Not sure who first said it or exact words but so very true!!

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

well done hope all goes well for the lambs

all the best
Russ :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

maggienetball
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Fantastic Red. I hope this Devon weather does them well.

Echoing others, I'm also curious as to whether 3 is "normal" and will Mum cope as she would with 1 or 2. Have you every had triplets before?

red

Mydreamlife wrote:Congratulations... are they boys or girls??
all rams. we were not planning on keeping any anyways.. all destined for the freezer.. so makes little difference to us
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

red

glenniedragon wrote:Can sheep cope with triplets or will you have to bottle feed one? excellent news, what a good girl she is!
and
maggienetball wrote:Fantastic Red. I hope this Devon weather does them well.

Echoing others, I'm also curious as to whether 3 is "normal" and will Mum cope as she would with 1 or 2. Have you every had triplets before?
1 or 2 is more usual, and no triplets are not ideal, as the ewe will only have two teats. I know of a ewe that has trips for the second year running and has coped ok, but always they are a lot smaller than singles or twins, and will probably finish later etc. For these reasons farmers often remove one and either foster onto another ewe who just has a single or hers died, or else gets rid. The 'orphan lambs' you hear about are usually actually spare twins or trips.

We have never had triplets before - we have never had lambs before.. this is our first year!

One of the lambs was not looking good at all this morning (weve been doing 3 hoursly checks) and we revived it with a stomach tube feed and some bottles. we have tried to put it back with mum, and she is willing, but the lamb is just not fighitn his corner.. so we are going back to hand rearing (which can often bring its own problems)
Red

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

You certainly seem to have picked up a lot of knowledge - well done! I hope the lamb will be OK.

red

Millymollymandy wrote:You certainly seem to have picked up a lot of knowledge - well done! I hope the lamb will be OK.
well been reading.. and went on a lambing course, following the blogs of others doing same thing ahead of us, but best of all, being a nuisance to real sheep keeping locals. I even arranged to take part in lambing with a neighbours flock - and they had a really good lot of lambs including first timers and triplets.. and every single one of them managed without help - so much for my experience

doing the stomach tube was nerve wracking as if you get it wrong, you put milk in the lungs and that finishes them off... we have only practiced on a dead lamb on the lambing course once.. but this one was near death anyway, so made the choice 'to have a go' - the very words the vet used on the course, much easier

now on a new learning curve.. as am trying to hand rear the weak lamb - bottle feeds etc. its like having a baby again... :roll: difficult to get info here as the locals mostly would have 'let nature take its course' - so anyone with good advice on bottle feeding (Ina?) ..would be grateful...
Red

etsy shop

blog

ina

Did I hear my name? :wink:

Yes, it's about to start here, too... Lambs are coming thick and fast. The most important thing is to keep the lamb straight (hanging down) when you are tubing it - and not to force it in. It should just glide down; once you've done it a couple of times on a live lamb, it's not so bad any more. But you should be past the stage where that might be necessary. I often keep a weak lamb on a hot water bottle -wrapped up in an old towel. That's easier than having a lamp or a heat box, and you can keep it in with mum.

Ergh - what breed is your ewe?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)