Hi everyone I'm back!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi everyone I'm back!

Just in case you missed me - I've been in England the last few weeks as my Mum had a heart attack. She's on the mend now fingers crossed.

Didn't get out and about much but did go to some supermarkets. Know what you all mean about the plastic bags - BUT, wow the service, compared with France, it's incredible - in a good way! And everyone is nice and friendly and smiley, never saw a hoody or a chav (well OK I wasn't in a major city :mrgreen: ). Why would I seem surprised by this - it's from reading the French/Brittany sites full of people who can't wait to 'escape' and I had the impression the country and most of its inhabitants had gone to the dogs! In rural Somerset I'm glad to see it hasn't changed a bit!

Now I have 90 new posts/topics to catch up on :shock: Trouble is I have soooooo much to do in the garden......... :pale:

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Hope your mum's OK. This growing older lark isn't always all it's cracked up to be, is it?
Stew

Ignorance is essential

ina

Hi Mandy

Of course we missed you! It's worrying when something's wrong with the family and you are quite a bit away. Let's hope everything is ok now.

Yep, it helps to see things from a different perspective. I always hear about folk being so impolite in shops etc - maybe it's just in big cities. But around here I've also found that everybody is friendly enough - if you want them to be. Especially, of course, in a rural area like this is. When I was down with the flu for a few days, half the village seemed to know it: My neighbour had picked up my milk in the shop and must have mentioned that I was sick. And from there on it just made it's way around... :roll:

Anyway, welcome back. Hope you got all that was on your shopping list!

Ina

Millymollymandy

14 pairs of M&S knickers and plenty of cheese!

Couldn't bring back a Xmas pud because of the weight. :( So many things I would have bought if I'd had wheels - something I was surprised by was how incredibly cheap a lot of stuff was compared to France.

Self raising/wholemeal/bread types of flour - a quarter of the price.

Vitamins - a third to a quarter of the price.

Salad veges - lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber - all much cheaper.

Whilst some things in Lidl - exactly the same products as I buy in France - were the same price in pence as they are here in cents!!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice to see you back with us M3, best wishes for your Mum!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

Thanks Wombat, Mum's going to be OK as she had the results of her angiogram and only has to have a minor thing done and not the triple bypass she was fearing! So I shouldn't have to go back to Blighty again in a hurry.

Shirley

Hi MMM

I'm actually quite surprised by the differences in price - and also by the items on your shopping list :lol: I thought France did knickers and cheese very well indeed... tickled me to think that you bought these things while over here.

Hope your mum is very much on the mend now.

Millymollymandy

Hi Shirlz - France does French cheese and England does English cheese - which are very, very different. And no, they don't do knickers well - the elastic is always far too tight - I have even bought 3 sizes bigger than I am and they have been too uncomfortable to wear. :shock:
:lol:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

:shock: Stuth M3, you've gone and given me a "visual"! :pale:

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

What, of baggy bloomers, Nev? :mrgreen:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

No.............super tight ones :shock:

Nev

ina

Yep, each country has their specialities: I used to import knickers from Germany - back in the 70s, when you couldn't get any cotton ones here. Even the sheets were often nylon.... :pale: But I loved the M&S socks - so they went back to Germany. Now I can get proper undies, the same I buy in Germany, here on mail order (organic ones); ok, they are still cheaper in Germany, but I save on postage. And I knit all my own socks now - but I get the wool for them in Germany, becasue the stuff you get here is all plain and boring colours and develops holes in no time at all. And it's more expensive, of course...

When I want "ladies' shoes", I need to look out for German manufacturers, everything else is too tight. (Just as well I generally wear men's boots, with steel toe caps! Which always creates a bit of upheaval at the airport. But then I don't fly that often any more, either.)

Ina