Rusty tools

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Rusty tools

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:37 am

I've got some rusty tools - screwdriver, pliers, etc. If if put them in some vinegar, will the rust flake off?

old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Re: Rusty tools

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 am

We have used fizzy cola on old tools befor with great results :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:26 pm

If you use a bit of wire wool and rub the vinegar into the surface then the rust will disappear much better assuming it's just surface rust. Don't forget to rub them over with a light oil afterwards to stop them rusting up again.

Pete

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:42 pm

I used vinegar and it worked a treat - soaked in vinegar for a day, then went over them with stainless steel scrubbie, rinsed in water with bicarb (I heard it was necessary to neutralise them :? ), wiped them dry, warmed to ensure dryness and a spray with some oil - even the handles were cleaned with it. I'd say they were almost as good as new if they hadn't been old ones given to me by a friend!

Weedo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:51 am

I know this is an old post but I will add it my bit. Since taking over the farm and cleaning 3 generations worth of clutter from the garage and sheds, I have accumulated a number of very old and very rusty tools that I want to salvage - some for interest and others because the type and quality can no longer be found. Several now reside in the back of the ute and see regular service.

For really rusty tools etc. I have found the best solution is 1 part molasses dissolved in 2 parts hot water - soak the tool entirely for 2-3 days then rub down with fine steel wool (the type you buy in painters or restoration shops). Some items may need a second bath. After cleaning and drying keep a light coat of oil on them.

If they have a wooden handle, wash the handle with warm water and ordinary dish washing liquid, allow to dry and then use a light wood oil such as cedar oil.

if storing for an extended period then coat the metal parts with raw Linseed oil and allow to air dry before storing. But (there is always a but) the Linseed oil will harden over time and may be hard to get off after a couple of years.

To avoid - anything harsh that will penetrate the metal surface - coarse emery papers, coarse steel wool, powered wire brushes and corrosive liquids. Try to avoid using modern engine oils on tools, they commonly contain a range of added chemicals and detergents.
There are not more than five primary colours, yet in combination they produce more hues than can ever be seen - (Sun Tzu 600BC)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:19 am

I suppose it's the high sugar content that does it - so either molasses (is that golden syrup over here - it is what Americans call molasses, I'm not sure about Australia) or cola would do a similar job.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Green Aura wrote: cola would do a similar job.

Big part of why cola works is the phosphoric acid content. I know I've cleaned rust off something with my no-rinse steriliser (primarily phosphoric acid)

Weedo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:28 am

Hi

No, in Australia molasses is the thick, black rich stuff often used for a cattle feed suppliment (mixed with urea) in drought and golden syrup is a light, golden coloured syrup used much more for people consumption. I use the "raw" molasses, not the refined type sold in health food shops - you could possibly get this from horse feed suppliers? I get it in 200l drums for the cattle

Americans mis-name everything.

I suspect the quick fermentation process is the key as the mix starts to bubble in a few hours.
There are not more than five primary colours, yet in combination they produce more hues than can ever be seen - (Sun Tzu 600BC)

nickholden
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:19 pm

molasses or Black treacle can be got in tins at T***o very good in cakes

nickholden
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:21 pm

that is tes co's