Banish Plastic

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Banish Plastic

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:31 am

I use them instead of black bags, and for other things... Not ideal, I know - but you won't stop them bringing the bags around; the people who have that kind of job are desperate for anything to earn money, so they have to stick them in your post box! I think you could take them back to the appropriate charity shop, if there is one in your area.

And the kinds of clothes I would be able to give them, they wouldn't want anyway. Rags, more like it.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Technically they are supposed to collect all bags that are put out, full or empty. They never do collect the empty ones so like you, ina, I use them for rubbish collection and do have quite a backlog.

I suppose it saves us money but it does add to the sum total of plastic in the world. A lot of people just throw them in the bin with the rubbish instead of using them because they are the wrong size for the bin in the kitchen. :roll:

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Flo wrote:A lot of people just throw them in the bin with the rubbish instead of using them because they are the wrong size for the bin in the kitchen. :roll:
Really? What a waste! I'm too lazy to bother remembering when I'm supposed to put them out, and I figure that if they leave them on my doorstep unasked, then they're mine. Luckily, I don't get very many, because they can sit in the back of a drawer for a long time before I get round to using them.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Flo

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Looking back at the discussion - mostly supermarket shopping plastic - well now that £5 and £10 notes in England are plastic - hmm, you ain't going to ban plastic when shopping. If you use a card it's plastic and if you use money it's plastic. :wink:

Now that does make it hard to cut down on plastic. :mrgreen:

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Flo wrote:Looking back at the discussion - mostly supermarket shopping plastic - well now that £5 and £10 notes in England are plastic - hmm, you ain't going to ban plastic when shopping. If you use a card it's plastic and if you use money it's plastic. :wink:

Now that does make it hard to cut down on plastic. :mrgreen:
Can't help thinking you're right and add on a lot of people who don't want to give up plastic ( thinking here of those who make a habit of wrapping sandwiches in cling film) and it is hard to cut down.
This has led me to wonder whether the emphasis should be towards replacing oil based plastics with those based on things like cellulose that will rot down eventually . Here I'm thinking of those "compostable " drink containers I see at festivals etc which claim to be completely biodegradable , not that I've ever tried putting them in my compost bins.