Banish Plastic

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Banish Plastic

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:31 am

I use them instead of black bags, and for other things... Not ideal, I know - but you won't stop them bringing the bags around; the people who have that kind of job are desperate for anything to earn money, so they have to stick them in your post box! I think you could take them back to the appropriate charity shop, if there is one in your area.

And the kinds of clothes I would be able to give them, they wouldn't want anyway. Rags, more like it.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Technically they are supposed to collect all bags that are put out, full or empty. They never do collect the empty ones so like you, ina, I use them for rubbish collection and do have quite a backlog.

I suppose it saves us money but it does add to the sum total of plastic in the world. A lot of people just throw them in the bin with the rubbish instead of using them because they are the wrong size for the bin in the kitchen. :roll:

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Flo wrote:A lot of people just throw them in the bin with the rubbish instead of using them because they are the wrong size for the bin in the kitchen. :roll:

Really? What a waste! I'm too lazy to bother remembering when I'm supposed to put them out, and I figure that if they leave them on my doorstep unasked, then they're mine. Luckily, I don't get very many, because they can sit in the back of a drawer for a long time before I get round to using them.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Flo

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Looking back at the discussion - mostly supermarket shopping plastic - well now that £5 and £10 notes in England are plastic - hmm, you ain't going to ban plastic when shopping. If you use a card it's plastic and if you use money it's plastic. :wink:

Now that does make it hard to cut down on plastic. :mrgreen:

Return to “But what can I do?”